young hens quit laying after < 2wks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carolyn, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I got 3 small brown eggs 10 days ago. Afterwards I got si on the average of 1/day. For the last 2 days no egg. The weather here is nicer than when they started laying. I have 7 hens all hatched in mid March.
    I have checked thoroughly for signs of a thief. A mouse or a small snake might fit thru the chicken wire but I haven't really seen any evidence of either. The run has wire all around including the bottom.
    I switched them to layer pellets several days ago. They get grass, kitchen goodies and small amount of scratch.
    I have one roo to 7 hens. He is gentle. I took the other 2 roos out a week or so ago.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Fast Chick

Fast Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Mine have done the same and no one can tell me why!

I had 1 laying out of 5 then several laying rubber eggs. Now nothing Since Saturday. [​IMG]

Not hot, not stressed, well fed. Just being pains in the butt. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. mfranti

mfranti Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    salt lake city
  4. mfranti

mfranti Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    salt lake city
    did i miss something?

rubber eggs? you're being silly, right?

can i just say it really stinks to be on a forum where i dont have a clue.....

you guys seem nice-so i'm sure i'll catch on.

5. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks for the link. Maybe they are mad because I took Rufus out. I thought he was terrorizing them but he is a handsome devil.

I'm not sure what rubber eggs are either.

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    A soft shelled egg. The membrane is there but the hardened shell is not. The egg isn't rubber, just looks that way.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  7. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Maybe you have a egg eater, if so there very hard to get to stop. Most people just get rid of them.

8. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    Can chickens in an enclosed run eat eggs and leave no evidence whatsoever?

9. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    I guess they just needed a vacation. They started back at 1 per day and are now laying 2-3 per day. I think only 4 are laying. They are all brown. I have an EE and 2 leghorns ? that aren't laying yet.
    Can 7 share a nesting box?

10. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:With chickens, I think any thing is possible. Our roo is our occasional egg eater (blast him!) He usually leaves the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by