1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

young hens roost in nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shmeggs, Dec 10, 2013.

1. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    I have 3 young hens 4 months old that want to roost in nest box I move them to the roost every night. if I leave them in nest box will they grow out of it and roost like they are supposed to on the roost. im just afraid they may keep a laying hen from going in the nest to lay.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I usually try to break them of the habit since sometimes they will keep it up for a long time, and their pooping in the nest boxes as they sleep is a nuisance. You can try blocking off the nest boxes just before bed time (and opening them back up when you close the coop)... or if it is one next in particular they keep using, just close that one. If an adult hen wants in the box while the youngsters are in there, she will probably chase them out. With the roosts, do be sure there is plenty of room on the roosts and that they aren't being chased away by a mean hen.

3. Justicedog

Justicedog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Mine did this when I put them in the coop. They would dog pile into one nesting box. I blocked that nesting box off and then they went to the one next to it. I blocked the whole side off and after a couple nights, they got the hint. I also put a ladder in - in case they couldn't get up to the roost. Now, mine weren't laying yet and there was another set of nesting boxes they didn't want to sleep in, so I didn't have a double duty issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by