Young hens soon to start laying eggs....how many to expect a week?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ellie97, May 13, 2011.

1. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    I have 25 3 month old hens of the following breeds.
    Americana (5)
    Rhode Island Red (6)
    Light Brahma (3)
    Buff Orpington (2)
    Barred Rock (4)
    Black Australorp (5)
    How many, for each breed, can I expect a week from each girl? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I'm not sure about the Brahma, never had one, but the others are all good laying breeds. Expect 220 to 240 eggs a year for the first two years then a 10% drop a year after that. A hen's ovulation cycle is 25hrs, so it's common to get one egg a day for five or six days then she'll skip a day, then resume. Some hens lay more or less.
    There are a lot of factors that influence their egg laying beside their breed. Diet, heat, stress, water, disease, light level, are but a few. Good luck!

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    You know by "laying soon" means another 3-5 months if they're 3 months old now? Some will start early, others right on time, a couple may wait it out longer.

After they're all up and running at around 7-8 months old, you should be looking at 15-25 eggs a day depending on how they all cycle through it.

I have 6 laying age girls, and I average 5 eggs a day. Sometimes I only get 3. Just depends.

One of my 3, 6 month old pullets laid her first egg yesterday. Tiny little thing out of that big girl. Her two buddies, one is a month older and nothing yet, the other the same age and nothing out of her yet either.

4. catlady58

catlady58 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Last summer my 11 RIR and BR averaged 9-10 eggs per day once they were all cranked up (18-21 weeks). This winter it varied more. I supplemented their regular feed with slightly cooked, organic soybeans, and sometimes it approached summer production, sometimes less. I have young BO and am looking forward to what they do come mid-June.[​IMG] My hens have free access to outside and free range for 10 hours a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by