Young hens with runny poop and reduced egg production

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Easter Chicks, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Easter Chicks

Easter Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    So, I have 11 hens. They just started laying a few weeks ago. It's the middle of fall and whoever was laying the blue eggs and the beige eggs have stopped. So I thought it was because of winter approaching. But then someone started laying green eggs and is still laying them. Is this normal?

But what I am kind of concerned about is that all of their poop has been really gross, lately. Just super runny. It's not like it's summer and they're drinking way more water than usual. A couple weeks ago we introduced some probiotics to their water and then that's when the gross poop started, but that was a couple weeks ago and it's still happening. Is this normal? I looked this up and their poop looks normal compared to pictures on the internet, I just don't feel like it should be runny all the time. They're acting totally fine in every other way, though.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you free range at all? If so look for any hidden nests that may contain the eggs you are missing. Sometimes the girls like to hide their eggs.

Can you post a photo of the poop?
    Is every poop runny or is it cecal poop you are seeing? Chickens will have smelly, loose poop (cecal poop) about 1 out of every 8-10 normal poops.

Also check your feed label, a lot of commercial feeds now contain probiotics (and prebiotics) so adding more to their diet could be the problem.

3. Easter Chicks

Jul 17, 2015
    Because of a couple incidents with foxes, we only let them free range when we are right there with them. I have searched the coop and run thoroughly and have found no nests. I'll keep looking, though! I just don't think they're laying at all, except for one, it seems. :/

I'll post a photo soon. If the probiotics is the problem, how long would it take for them to be over it? They were given some a couple weeks ago which seems a bit long. It wasn't always like this, which is why I'm concerned.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Have you stopped giving the probiotics in the water to see if the poop goes back to "normal"?

Sometimes going "back to the basics" will help you track down what may be causing the runny poop. If everything one normal up to a certain point, then go back to what you were doing.

If it continues after that, then taking a fecal sample to the vet to check for worms would be a good idea.

Since they just started to lay eggs, then give the blue egg and brown egg girl a few more days to see if the resume. Starting at this time of the year they should continue through next fall - at least mine did - got first eggs at Christmas (December through January) and the girls laid all winter up until now - some are slowing and starting to molt.

I forgot to ask - what type of food/treats do you feed and are you offering oyster shell free choice?

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-worming.html

5. Easter Chicks

Jul 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See, I think it looks normal, just way runnier than usual. I haven't seen any signs of worms, though maybe a fecal sample would be a good idea, in case.

And yes, we only gave probiotics to them once, two weeks ago. That's what I'm saying, is that it still hasn't changed and we stopped two weeks ago! As for treats, we usually give them sunflower seeds and a grain mixture, I think mostly corn. Although that's only to get them to go back inside their run. They live off layer feed (and of course foraging when they're outside.) Their sunflower seeds ran out a little while ago, so they haven't been having those. I wonder if that could be causing it?

That's odd about the eggs. I have no idea why they've stopped laying. I don't know if it changes depending on where you live, probably not significantly. I'm in Canada but it ain't that cold yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by