1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young, injured hen...possible infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jennn27, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    A few days ago, one of my young Buff Orpingtons had gotten "attacked" by my daughter's show lamb. Which shocked me since we have never had any problems before. So I have her inside, secluded in a cage. I've been cleaning the wounds with iodine and triple antibiotic ointment (no pain relief). One side looks like it's trying to heal, but the other side has a slightly green spot? it doesn't smell, and she is eating and drinking fine now. I've been giving her a scrambled egg twice daily. Should I get some Blue Kote? Would peroxide hurt her?? Thanks for any help!

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Green indicates bruising. I'd steer clear of using peroxide as it can damage healthy tissue. Sounds like you're doing a fine job though, if you're using straight iodine, I'd dilute it with water a bit (I prefer to use gentle iodine or betadine). If you're able, scrub and clean the area several times a day, pat dry and apply a good amount of neosporin each time. Chickens are amazingly resilient and can heal rather quickly. If the wounds aren't that bad, you can apply blue kote so as to allow you to place her back with her flock asap while keeping the other chickens from pecking the area. Good luck!

3. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Thank you!! It wouldn't surprise me if she was bruised. I was fit to be tied when I saw what was happening. Thank God my roo let me know something was wrong! I think she has been picking at that one side, so I am going to get some Blue Kote today as well as some electrolytes to put in her water/food. I just want her to heal as quickly as possible, so she be back outside! Every time I go outside, Chief, my roo, looks at me like "Is she ok? Can she come out to play?" lol

4. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    I just looked at the bottle...it is betadine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by