Young Layer Has Not Laid for 4 Days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emilieseggs, May 31, 2019.

1. emilieseggs

emilieseggs In the Brooder

May 25, 2019
    I have a sapphire olive egger hen that laid her first egg on Memorial Day (4 days ago). Since then, she has not laid another egg. Is this normal for the breed/young layers to not lay for this many consecutive days?

I also noticed 2 days ago that she went into her usual nesting box and was in there for quite awhile, stirring and making noises like she was laying, but there was no egg to be found whenever I went in to check when she left the nesting box.

I am unsure if there is need for concern (egg bound, something is wrong), or is this is normal?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Egg laying can be inconsistent when first starting. Are you sure it was her egg? In any case, I wouldn't worry.

3. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Songster

Oct 3, 2013
    California
    I have a sapphire olive eggger who will be laying in a couple months. Do you have pictures of your hen and her egg(s)? I’d love to see because I’m not sure what to expect from mine...

4. emilieseggs

May 25, 2019
    Yes, I am sure that it was her egg.

Thank you for your insight!

5. emilieseggs

May 25, 2019
    Please see attached pictures! I have two sapphire olive eggers, but only one has laid so far. They are just 20 weeks old and I am anxiously awaiting the other to begin to lay.

Attached Files:

GuineaFowling likes this.
  6. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Songster

Oct 3, 2013
    California
    E8ED63D7-8B54-487B-8861-1CAE82956B8D.jpeg She’s beautiful! I love that light gray. Mine is a little darker and has a few black feathers here and there too. I think she’s a blue copper marans (feathers on her legs)x crested cream legbar (crest). I got her from a feed store and I’m almost positive they get their chicks from Hoover hatchery. I’m hoping she is a pullet.

7. emilieseggs

May 25, 2019
    Yours is beautiful, too! You will be so happy to collect green eggs once she starts laying. The other sapphire olive egger that I have is very light in color and is absolutely gorgeous. They are an amazing breed!

GuineaFowling likes this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be normal...or not.
    If she's eating drinking pooping and moving around OK, I'd not worry.
    Never hurts to take a look at vent area for anything abnormal.

9. emilieseggs

May 25, 2019
    She seems to be doing all of those things, and I cannot see anything that looks abnormal with her vent.

Thanks for your response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: