1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Young Layer Hen: Only got 3 eggs in the last 3 months. Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amy's Animals, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I hatched out a pullet last February that I named "Speedo". Her daddy's a Rhode Island Red and her mommy's an Easter Egger, some pretty good laying genetics, I would say. Now the thing is, Speedo layed her first egg, ohh back in June I believe. She didn't lay her second egg until more than two weeks later, and layed her third egg two days after her second egg. This was like 6 weeks ago, maybe more, and no eggs since. What is the problem here? She is getting exactly the same kindda stuff as my other hens are, and they are laying just fine. She is not molting, weather doesn't make any difference (she doesn't lay whether its 100 degrees or just 65), shes is not bullied by other chickens, she's not hiding her eggs. Just a perfectly healthy, good looking chicken. You look at her abdomen and say "Wow that chicken must be one hell of a good layer". Apparently, looks can be deceiving. I would have culled her if it weren't for the fact she lays beautiful olive green eggs. Does anyone have an answer to her strange behavior? Thanks to anyone willing to try [​IMG]

2. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG] Anyone?

3. whudson

whudson In the Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Lots of people I've talked to seem to be getting less eggs the last couple of months.

I have no idea why. It doesn't seem to be limited by breed or location.

I bought a bunch of chicks in March, then another hatch a few weeks ago, so I got rid of most of my older flock and only kept four laying Brahma hens (about a year and a half old).

In the last six weeks, I've had a total of eight eggs.

4. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Yep Yep...I am hardly getting any eggs...so frustrating!

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Free loading chicken. My pullet started 3 week ago. About a dozen and now hasn't in 3 days hope she lays today

6. Amigatec

Amigatec Songster

Jan 31, 2010
    Haskell Oklahoma
    My RIR's are laying good, even with all the heat we have been having.

7. chkinut

chkinut Songster

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    my Cuckoo Marans isn't a great layer either. she was hatched april 12th....and use to lay 2 on, 2 off, now she hardly lays at all! could it have something to do with the poor economy? lol.....kidding.....

8. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You look at her abdomen and say "Wow that chicken must be one hell of a good layer"

Unfortunately this is a clue that she may be laying internally. Please do some searches on this topic. So sorry.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by