Young laying hen w/leg probs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kbbeale, Mar 1, 2016.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    I recently purchased several young laying hens from a local person...all were in good condition when I picked up. After several days/about a week, I found one of the little serama/mix hens sitting in the coop....then when I went back to check on them again, she was still in the same position, so I decided to examine more closely....

She wont/cant stand up. If I try to stand her up, she extends both front legs out straight and sits down. I have her isolated indoors in a kennel. She's eating and drinking fine, making little chicken noises....but I dont understand whats going on with her legs. She's alert and perky. I have felt all along her legs from her feet on up. No injury thats visually apparent, and she doesnt seem to hurt if I press all along her legs.

Thoughts? I cant put her back in the coop this way, she needs to be able to walk! Thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? That would be my guess, but I would start her on vitamins and make sure that she is drinking well. I would check with the breeder about vaccinations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by