Young Leghorn Laying then stopped

WardFam

Chirping
Jul 26, 2020
South Carolina, USA
Hello!
we are brand new to chicken raising... our first girl: a leghorn started laying a few weeks ago, right around 16 weeks old. at first she’d lay every couple of days then she went about four or five days of laying, now it’s been more than a week since she’s layed. (It has been about 90 degrees and humid here in SC)
she acts happy and energetic, super red comb, eats (I did just start mixing in multi flock food to the starter/ grower as I also have some 13 weekers in the flock).
today she layed in the box for a few hours with no results. (No signs of her nor any thing else eating the eggs) oh and the eggs she did lay were perfect...
Should I be concerned, or is she just young?? TIA!!

I deal with white leghorns only. That is all I've ever had. When they first start laying, some just start laying good eggs consistantly and some may lay every day or two. Some will lay shellless eggs for a week or two. Some start laying at 17 weeks some at 20 weeks. It can take them a few weeks to get things right.

I always use an all flock or starter/grower and I might be crazy but I have added calcium to their feed and they go to laying. Try adding 1 tablespoon crushed oyster shells per lb of feed and see if she lays an egg. I'll bet she lays the next day.

If you have a separate container for oyster shells, try adding crushed eggs shells to the container. They love crushed eggshells and will eat those over oyster shells and that will train them into eating out of the oyster shell container for their calcium.

Hey all!
I appreciate the advice and all. We’ve done all of the above, we’re now going on week 3 of not laying after 2 1/2 weeks of laying (mind you she’s just now 20 weeks old). She is eating, drinking and running around like her jolly self.
do I just ride it out or should I start to be concerned soon?
TIA!

There's nothing to be concerned about. This time of year, under decreasing daylight, hormones are waning so production is less than it would be earlier in the spring under increasing light. Most pullets that start in the late summer to fall lay at a decreased rate until the following spring. So expect a slower start for your pullet. It give her more time to mature.

There's nothing to be concerned about. This time of year, under decreasing daylight, hormones are waning so production is less than it would be earlier in the spring under increasing light. Most pullets that start in the late summer to fall lay at a decreased rate until the following spring. So expect a slower start for your pullet. It give her more time to mature.
Thank you 🙏🏼

Back
Top Bottom