Young male already likes female?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Del1977, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Del1977

Del1977 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2015
    Australia
    Have 6 young quail that will be 6 weeks old tomorrow from a hatch of 17. Sold the rest in view of keeping these ones for breeding stock. Unfortunately looks like we may only have one female but that's not my query.

Have noticed at least on of the males showing affection to the female in the last couple of days. Would he already be fertile and if so does that mean when she starts laying her eggs will already be fertile?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Males tend to mature sooner than females - very likely her eggs will be fertile when she starts laying. You are aware that 5 males and one hen is not going to work, right?

3. Del1977

Del1977 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2015
    Australia
    Yes, I am aware they won't get along. Have been keeping a close eye on them the last couple of days in case they start fighting and will be moving them before things go pair shape. My daughter is starting planning on making pocket money by selling quail as they are in high demand in our area and next to no suppliers. Have another 11 week old quail which we are hoping will be more females than males so we can get the right mix and will sell the extra males.

Still not 100% sure on the sexing of those 6 but going by colouring and the fact we have seen at least two do the male call and one actively mating we are pretty sure. Was hoping we had the colouring mixed up and it would be the opposite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by