Young Male Turkey Keeps Pecking His Feet

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kperki, Jul 18, 2018.

1. kperki

kperki Songster

We have 6 young heritage breed turkeys about 10 weeks old. For the past couple of weeks he has continuously been pecking at his own feet and tears the skin off. We have bandaged them, sprayed them a different color with the horses aluminum liquid bandage and he still pecks at them. When we have bandaged them while he is pecking at the bandage the others come over and help peck at it. He also pecks other areas that are not bandaged and creates sores. They have that little bit of webbing between toes and so it is hard to wrap very good. I am hoping someone knows what could possibly be causing him to be so neurotic and how I can break this bad habit. These are pets, its not a matter of just killing him.
    Thanks!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Following would like to know.

3. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I don't know what is bothering him but I suggest that you try Blu-Kote or Rooster Booster Pick No More.

It is possible that his diet is lacking something he needs but turkeys are "funny critters" and once they develop a habit, they can be hard to break the habit.

sourland likes this.
  4. kperki

kperki Songster

It is hard to imagine he is lacking something. He is fed game bird food, he free ranges with the others and the chicken and geese. They sometimes eat some of the chickens food that is out too, it is organic. But in the morning before they are let out they are fed their game bird food and in the evening too. None of the others are doing it so it is odd food wise if that is it.

I have re- wrapped his feet much better and when they come off or I take them off I will try the Blu Kote

Thanks

5. Jeffrey Foster

Jeffrey Foster In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2018
    And some wonder were turkeys get the reputation for not being the brightness bird on the farm.

6. kperki

kperki Songster

I tried the rooster booster no pick stuff and it didn’t work . Then tried the Blu Kote and no luck there. I know some said a nutritional defiency, any ideas on what that Ibwould supplement with?

7. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Does anyone make Pinless Peepers for turkeys? Might be worth a shot.

8. kperki

kperki Songster

What are pinless peepers?

9. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Little glasses-things that clip onto the beak to obstruct the bird's forward vision somewhat. Usually used to keep them from pecking at each other.

10. memphis

memphis Crowing

Aug 6, 2012
    You sure he doesn't have leg mites?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: