Young Males Mounting Hens

Discussion in 'Quail' started by crazymax02, Mar 16, 2015.

1. crazymax02

crazymax02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    Kansas
    My jumbo coturnix quail are 5½ weeks old and a male just mounted a hen..is this normal? Didn't think they did it this early.

2. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    I have a couple 4 1/2 week old males and they are already crowing, so it wouldn't be far fetched if they were trying to mount at 5 1/2

3. crazymax02

Feb 6, 2015
    Kansas
    Yea, mine started crowing at 4 weeks. I just walked up on them and he was mounting her so I thought I'd ask..
    Thanks.

4. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't know quail crowed

5. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Yup and they get loud when you have about 18 males in 1 cage... That will stop come friday... Harvest day...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  6. crazymax02

Feb 6, 2015
    Kansas
    Ha, I have 5 roosters in one cage now..almost have their pens built for the trios.

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I have had fertile eggs come from a pen of 6 week old birds several times....... Its a bit early but not unusual... If you are breeding for size. Id cull the earliest sexually mature birds from my breeding program if you have enough to choose from. Cull for body type first, then size and growth rate, then sexual maturity.... Now you are down to birds with the most potential... The bird will slow way down in its growth once they become sexually mature. Here is where weekly weighing can help you. They can average a 2 oz a week growth period from about 3 weeks up till their bodies start to divert energy to produce eggs or chase hens. The longer you can hold them off laying, the longer they have their highest potential growth rates ....This is where light trickery can help too... Good luck with your birds. Bill

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. Garjzla

Garjzla Overrun With Chickens

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    as far as I know they do it whenever they are able to get on top of her!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  9. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm hoping my bobs start breeding soon. I watch them for any mating or bonding between my male and one of the females, I've seen a little bonding but that's it. *sighs* why does it have to take so long before they start laying

10. crazymax02

Feb 6, 2015
    Kansas
    Its so anticipating isn't it?! I have 25 GG bobs due to hatch April 11.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by