Young mandarin can't walk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bigcountry2231, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Bigcountry2231

Bigcountry2231 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    Galveston county
    They were all doing great and I noticed one having an issue with one leg, so I moved them to a different cage now having issues even walking. What should I do.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

First off how old are they? What are you feeding? Any other symptoms?
    Outside or inside? Temperature of housing..
    Explain more so I or someone else can help you out.

3. Bigcountry2231

Bigcountry2231 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    Galveston county
    I got them around may 17th. They've been on game bird or turkey feed, temp here in Tx hot upper 80's to 90's. These are my first mandarins and the guy I got them from said keep in pen fully wired so they can't get out until they get older and calm down. So been doing that and fresh feed everyday sometimes give some grain and meal worms. I'm thinking even tho the wire on bottom is 1/4x1/4 might have hung up in the wire and sprained or broke at knee not sure. Just hate to loose it. [​IMG]

4. chickens really

Hmmm. That is bad....I am sorry but a broken leg really cant be fixed. You might have to cull it?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Without being there or being a vet, I can offer that if it's a pull or a sprain, that Epsom salt compresses help quite a bit.

And, those kinds of injuries can take more than a week to heal up completely.

I have Runners, don't know anything about Mandarins (might someone on the Ornamental forum be able to help?)

But we have had a few sprains, and I use Epsom salt compresses followed by a tiny dab of Traumeel or T-Relief rubbed into the leg. Also as much time floating in lukewarm water as possible to take weight off the leg and strengthen muscles and improve circulation.

Some vitamin supplements may provide a boost to the healing process as well.

Please keep us posted. Ducks can recover from some awful injuries.

If you can get a good duck vet's help, that would be best.

6. chickens really

No I am not a vet, nor am I there...If It is suffering?? The best is putting it down humanly .....
    Nothing needs to suffer in order to make us feel better..!
    See how it does and then do what you need to do....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by