Young Muscovy hen losing lots of feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FarmrGirl, Nov 27, 2011.

1. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    So I noticed today that one of my first year Muscovy hens has lost a bajillion feathers. She was hatched out this spring so she shouldn't be molting yet, none of her siblings are. I put her into "sickbay" pen with a wounded Welsh Harlequin girl and 3 juveniles so I can keep a close eye on her and load her up with drench. It's too dark now for pictures so I'll have to see if I can get some tomorrow.

At first I only noticed that her tail was half naked, then I could see that her wings looked pretty thin and a couple of flight feathers were about to drop out. I instantly thought "picking" but there was no blood or broken shafts, just a lot of pink skin showing through. She dropped a few feathers just in transferring her to the sickbay pen.

I lost 2 Muscovy hens this month about 2 weeks apart [​IMG] . One girl I found in the barn instead of in bed with the ducks at sunset, saw that one of her legs was injured (?) she wasn't using it at all. Kept her with the flock but watched her carefully to make sure she was eating and drinking. She died 3 days later. No other injuries anywhere.

Then, about a week later, another girl was found limping. Not even using the leg for support - just like the other girl - she dragged it behind. I put her in a dog kennel in the basement with nutri-drench and food (and a friend), after a week I released them to the sickbay pen and 3 days later she died.

Both limpers had good feathering and looked perfectly healthy other than the leg. This poor feathered girl has bright eyes and is walking great... she fought pretty hard when I picked her up to put her in the pen (then she pooped all over me [​IMG] ). But since I lost 2 already I didn't want to take any chances with this one. I've decided to change feed. I have one 50# bag of Southern States layer pellets left, so I'll go to TSC tomorrow and buy Layena and gradually change it out. I hope it's just the feed and not something environmental.

Does anyone else have idea's? I'm really worried about my ducks.

2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Just an update on my poorly feathered girl:

Looks like a freak molt. She's growing new feathers back in now and seems fine other than being bald. At 7 months old I'm surprised that she's gone through one so early. It might be this freak weather we've been having. Got cold early this year, then the entire week after thanksgiving it was in the 70's. Her body may have thought it was time shed and regrow [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I hope she's ok [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Glad you figured out what the problem was [​IMG] sad that she is still bald though. Im [​IMG] for your girl!

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks guys... I was really freaking out there for a bit. We've had this really odd warming trend lately but it's getting back to normal temps again (in the 20's) soon so I hope her feathers hurry up and grow! Poor thing got out of the kiddie pool yesterday and spread her little chicken wings to flap... looked like a couple deformed arms since there were no feathers! And she looks like a naked mole rat when she's wet!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Naked mole rat! [​IMG]

7. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Naked mole rat! [​IMG]

OK maybe less like a naked mole rat [​IMG]:
    [​IMG]

but instead like these MORE CUTER naked kitties [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  9. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    LOL! don'cha just wanna knit em a sweater? Poor chilly babies! [​IMG]

10. Cheapchicksfarm

Cheapchicksfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Have you ever seen a Werewolf skinny pig?

My male lost some feathers yesterday but that was because my dog thought he wanted to play [​IMG] He seems fine this morning so I hope he is not injured but his tail will look funny for awhile.

I hope your girl grows her feathers back soon and you need to take a picture of her flapping her twiggy wings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by