1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Muscovy unknown breed or gender.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jgrone8500, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jgrone8500

jgrone8500 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    What breed of muscovy ducks do you think these are. I think the grey one is lavender but I am unsure of the rest with their brown spots on their heads and the one with the grey streak on his back.[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    don't see any lavender colored ones

3. jgrone8500

Dec 3, 2012
    do you know what the grey one is then?????[​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the breed is Muscovy the variety is blue pied and white gender wise the males will be way bigger than the females also i have found that the males hiss while the females really do not make a sound.

5. jgrone8500

Dec 3, 2012
    Thanks! You guys are great. But is there any other possible way to tell what gender they are. Also, should I clip their wings? They have lived in that coop their whole life and found out flying yesterday, they are all decent at flying except for one whose wing will not grow primary flight feathers. Any other ideas would really be appreciated! Thanks again! [​IMG]

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I clipped the left side wing feathers on my moms two boys. A friend said the boys not only have a way bigger body but also longer and heavier legs. There is a duck section on here. They could help you more than I as my mom has only had them since this summer.

7. jgrone8500

Dec 3, 2012
    I have only had mine since this summer when I branched out from chickens at the annual poultry swap. They were not ducklings but they had no resemblance of wings whatsoever. The ducks did not get their wings clipped when the chickens did because they didn't have any. So in no way am I an expert and the only information that I have acquired is from this thread and the girl who sold me the ducks told me that they are decent layers and they go great with chickens acting as a wonderful forager and ornament. But to me, these ducks are far more than an ornament and all of your help is amazing. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by