Young old english bantam going downhill quickly

kenbrackins

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Hello, My daughters O E bantam has been sick for a few weeks but seems to be getting worse by the hour. She started with sneezing w/ mucus bubbles. Not eating. Very lathargic. Last week eyes had discharge and now she keeps them shut most of the time. Bumps just appeared a few days ago and comb is scabby and sort of deformed. Her sister's comb is much bigger and bright. Flock history: Had 2 silkies and two OE Bantams until I rescued 2 more silkies and a very young Sebright from deplorable conditions (about 2 months ago) The Sebright was sneezing, weezing with bubbles and eye discharge from begining. When the bantam got sick I started treating all with Duramycin-10 in drinking water last Saturday. Changing everyday but very unsure of mixing dose in water. I have been forcing mixture in bantam with syringe in beak. Scabs on comb could be from pecking as she has been picked on by others. Looks like pox but no others showing signs. They all roost together and roam yard during day. Sebright seems to be getting better-no discharge from eyes but sneezing some-not nearly as much. No loss of appetite for her. I live in city-no close farms supply nor vets around to treat chickens. Sorry for long post-please advise. Thank you!![im
15172_002.jpg
g][/img]

Pic doesn't show all bumps around eyes to clearly but there are a lot. Also eyeballs seem to bulge.

Looks like fowl pox to me. Good luck:)

Fowl pox

Description
Fowl pox is a viral disease which is spread by the bites of mosquitoes. The infection leads to the formation of wart-like nodules on the non-feathered parts of the head and legs and occasionally to similar lesions or canker in the mouth, nose and throat.

Cause/Nature of the disease
There are a number of pox viruses which affect different species of birds. Fowls and turkeys are particularly susceptible to fowl pox virus while pigeons suffer most from pigeon pox virus.

Fowl pox virus attacks the skin and the surface of the mouth and throat. Depending on location, pox is referred to as either skin pox or 'wet' pox.

The skin form is most common, showing wart-like eruptions. Fleshy pale lumps form yellow pimples which may enlarge and run together forming masses of yellow crusts. In about a week these scabs darken and fall off.

The 'wet' pox or canker form shows up in the mouth, nose and throat as cheesy masses which interfere with eating and breathing.

Expected course/Spread
Nodules appear 5 to 8 days after infection. The scabs clear up in 3 to 4 weeks in simple cases.

The pox virus can be carried and transmitted by intermediate hosts such as mosquitoes and other bloodsucking insects.

Fowl pox can also be spread directly by infection of small wounds in the skin and mouth of the bird. Overcrowding birds increases the risk of injury and may result in fighting and pecking. Correcting this aspect of management will reduce the risk of spread. The virus cannot enter intact skin but can survive for a long time in infected material such as scabs and litter.

Diagnosis
In all outbreaks, wart-like lumps are found on many of the birds and this is a reliable guide to diagnosis.

Similar diseases
wound scabs
canker (trichomoniasis)
thrush and
avitaminosis A.
Treatment
Treatment is of little value. Lesions normally heal within 4 weeks. In severe cases it may be necessary to remove scabs and treat with antiseptics.

Prevention
Prevention is firstly by reducing exposure to mosquitoes. This can be done by screening sheds and by dealing with mosquito habitats. Secondly, vaccination is effective.

do not vaccinate while infected though. Also, I heard you can try to dry up the scabs by using iodine on them.

I personally would be using Tylan powder in the water in case it is not Fowl Pox, it is the best antibiotic out there.

Back
Top Bottom