Young Orloff with huge lump on back - help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueMoon, Jan 14, 2008.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    I have a young Russian Orloff, not sure of gender yet, about 6 months old. When I went to the coop a few minutes ago, it was on the ground, seemingly stuck between a wall, broom and cord to water heater. When I took it out, it had trouble walking.

I brought it in to check it out and am giving it a soak now. No interest in food from a bird who is usually famished. Gave a few drops of rescue remedy on the beak. There is a massive lump on the frame, under the left wing - it's goose egg sized.

Any ideas what to look for or what this could be from, other than a tumor or swelling injury. Are Orloffs prone to any diseases?

Thanks! I'll post photos after it's dried.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I am sorry, but I'm not sure how to help you but I wanted you to know that I looked and hope everything turns out ok. Hopefully someone with experience with the breed will come along soon. Keep him warm and quiet, with food/water until you get more advice.

Jody

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is it soft, hard, filled with air? Could it be a ruptured air sac?

4. BlueMoon

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    I don't think it's filled with air and doesn't much move when I touch it. It's rather hard, not unlike a filled crop. Where is the air sac?

I think it's in shock too. Just is in the water, gaping and silent.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

7. BlueMoon

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Yes - that looks like it. i won't bother with the photos then and will just pamper it.

Since I've got the CRD/MG antibiotic mixed up anyway, should I give it to this bird as well? (Duramycin tetracycline hydrochloride).

Thank you all so much for your speedy and accurate responses!

8. BlueMoon

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Tonight's update -

It eats when I put food in front, but moves as little as possible. It's squated down and often tips over.

I feel so bad for the little critter. Any ideas how to make it more comfortable?

9. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i had a little baby pigeon earlier this year who i rehabbed back from a pretty bad airsac injury.
    it takes a while but these injuries are totally survivable!

my little pijie patient grew up into a strong fit bird who we were able to release.

we gave this little bird a prescribed dose of metacam initially for the pain. do you have any on hand or access to it via your vet?

good luck and post plenty of updates!

10. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I just want to say--good luck with your precious Orloff! As far as I know, they aren't prone to anything. I have a pair and am desperately seeking more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by