Young Pekin with an Injured Leg, Please Help!

catk7813

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2017
I have a young Pekin duck with an injured leg. Took him to the vet and he just finished 10 days on an anti inflammatory med. his leg is still warm and swollen. I have him inside on a small area. I put in the tub once a day. Should I start aspirin and foes any one know how long a tendon or ligament injury takes to heal.? I really want to get him back out to his flock. Thanks

I have a young Pekin duck with an injured leg. Took him to the vet and he just finished 10 days on an anti inflammatory med. his leg is still warm and swollen. I have him inside on a small area. I put in the tub once a day. Should I start aspirin and foes any one know how long a tendon or ligament injury takes to heal.? I really want to get him back out to his flock. Thanks

Did you call the vet to see if you should maybe keep giving the anti inflammatory meds? Metacam would be the best for pain and inflammation. I read that aspirin is not safe to give to water fowl. Injuries like your drakes takes quite a while to heal, Any progress at all from when first injured? And giving him water therapy in warm water daily is one way to help give the leg exercise. I would just keep him separated till completely healed Is there any way to rotate the flock in so he can have company?

Welcome to BYC @catk7813

Yes I do put him on the tub with warm water once a day. His leg is a bit better he can stand on it now but has trouble walking. He limps. I did think about calling the vet. The med is not expensive but he wants to see him it's a bit costly. I only have 4 ducks 2 female 2 male. I Am not sure which female I could remove to be with him. Just want him to heal. It's going on 4 weeks.

Yes I do put him on the tub with warm water once a day. His leg is a bit better he can stand on it now but has trouble walking. He limps. I did think about calling the vet. The med is not expensive but he wants to see him it's a bit costly. I only have 4 ducks 2 female 2 male. I Am not sure which female I could remove to be with him. Just want him to heal. It's going on 4 weeks.

He needs to still be part of the flock because the un hurt drake may make it really hard on him to return. So I'd give them all some time with him one at a time maybe let them spend the day with him then next day another till they have all been with him then start again. Of course this depends on how they treat him and if he can tolerate company.

I would call the vet though and ask about keeping him on the meds till he is well.

Last edited:
Thank you. I will try this. It is something that I was worried about when he is ready to return outside. Yes

No I do not know how he hurt his leg unfortunately. We have had ice I don't know if he slipped. Since they do like to go outside unless I think it is too cold for them.

Back
Top Bottom