Young Pekin with neck problem.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dakotarose, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Dakotarose

Dakotarose New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    I was wondering if someone out there could help me with a problem that my young Pekin duck is having with it's neck. She about a month old now and the other day I changed the water and food as normal and everything was fine, when I came home from work and went to change water and food I noticed that the ducks head and neck was not straight. It's like it's twisted and looking up at the ceiling. She's not walking to good because her head is almost upside down. She is still eating and drinking with difficulty because of her head and neck twisted around. When i pick her up and feel her neck there dosen't seem to be anything out of place, but then again what do I know. Has anyone experienced this and is there a cure? HELP!!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Dakotarose

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    It could be a Niacin Vitamin Deficiency. Or it could be Wry Neck. Or could possibly have another cause. Is your duck still in a brooder? If so, check your temperature there. Then I would add Sav-a-Chick to the drinking water, or use another supplement.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe this will help, and as Holly Duck Farmer says it could be a number of things but hopefully it can be corrected with vitamins, usually it only takes 3-4 days to begin to see improvement once started. Niacin 150 megs to a gallon of water then placed into her drinking container, make sure to use plain niacin which you'll most likely have to ask for since they keep it behind the counter, but very inexpensive just don't use flush free or time released. What do you feed them? and more info is she in brooder and what are temps? at 1 month she should be in temps of 73-75*

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto HollyDuckFarmer and Miss Lydia.
    [​IMG]

5. Dakotarose

Dakotarose New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Hi, and thanks for the info. She is not in a brooder, but she is in with her other 5 siblings in a big box with a heat lamp on them. The other are fine. She is the only one with this problem. Will it affect the others if I put the niacin in their water since they are all together?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Using the niacin on all of them will actually help to keep the others from having this if it's a niacin def. Some ducklings are just more prone to it than others. won't hurt them a bit. Please keep us iupdated.

7. Njinja

Njinja Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    Yaoundé, Cameroon
    This question intrests me too. I had a Muscovy chick with a twisted neck. She grew up fine, although not so big has her siblings. Wry Neck was mentioned. What exactly is Wry Neck?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by