Young Pied Peacock

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Tikkajazz94, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does any body have a pictures of a Young Pied peacock, just starting to grow his train? I have a two year old. And I want to know what his train would start to look like. I've seen the older birds with the full train.

It would help me alot.

2. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    [​IMG]
    this is a pic of my 2yold sp this spring.

3. Tikkajazz94

Ah Ok....

4. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    May 2 year old's trains are not that long [​IMG] Ares train was the same length as his tail feathers just bushier and my white has the same, just white and fluffy LMAO. I will post pics Saturday late afternoon.

5. Tikkajazz94

I got told by the person that I got him off of. That He got picked on by the other males and they plucked his train. that was in May. Idk about now... But shoundn't it grow back? and when?

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If it was picked off, it won't begin to grow back until they shed the train feathers at the end of the breeding season. At that point, he'll drop the picked feathers and begin to grow next year's train, which will take until the spring to grow. Keep it protected until then and you'll have a lovely male come breeding season next year!

7. Tikkajazz94

wait Just remembered that he just turned 2... So when does their train start to grow? first or second year? and Does it grow in the winter?

8. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Mine tend to only really grow in the third year. Both of the males I raised only had green tail feathers with zero eyes at two

9. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Here are my 2 year olds.

His tail grew in about a month ago:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are both my 2 year olds. The black shoulder is dropping his train but you can see both are the same length.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Quote:Yeah mine isn't near as long as lil blues either. But I am very lucky that he even has a train, allot of 2yr old peacocks don't! Lil Blue your SP is beautiful I love how he has long feathers shooting out of his little one. And Yoda your birds are very pretty! Here is my 2yr olds tain. He is a midnight white eye.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by