1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Polish and Marans, Ameraucana chicks in MD

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Crunchie, May 15, 2008.

1. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I've got too many chickens!! [​IMG] As if there were such a thing...but, I'm running out of space, so some of what I've hatched this spring needs to find new homes. I'm located in southern Maryland, pick up only.

I've got:

5 or 6 young started Polish, White Crested Black (large fowl). These are about 6 weeks old. Too young to sex accurately. All are pet quality; these are birds that, for one reason or another, I'm not keeping to breed. They'd be great pets though, and even though the Polish are really only bred as an ornamental fowl, my hens are actually very reliable layers of nice, medium-size eggs throughout the warmer months--so if you kept their crests trimmed, these could probably get along as part of a backyard laying flock.

3 or 4 Marans cockerals, cuckoo and one white "sport". 6 weeks old. Sorry, no pullets! I hatched way too many roosters this spring. These birds are from very good breeders--egg color in these lines is very nice. None of these guys were hatched from eggs lighter than a 5 or 6.

3 Ameraucana chicks, 1 week old. From my pen with a splash rooster over blue hens. The chicks are splash, I only want to keep the blues right now. These guys are out of birds that do meet the standards for true Ameraucana, but I think there is some off-"blood" in the line. I cannot be sure that these chicks won't grow out w/willow legs or other traits undesirable for a true Ameraucana--so to be fair and honest, you may want to consider them Easter Eggers.

Pics of most of the parent birds can be seen on my web site (link in my sig line). I can probably get photos of the actual birds if someone is interested, just email me (link on my web site or under my avatar). I'm an NPIP participant.

$5 each for the Marans cockerals, $4 each or $10 for all 3 Ameraucana chicks...$20 for all of the Polish, I'd love for them to go all together...would make my life easier! Or make me an offer on all of the birds! Pick up only. I might be able to drive a reasonable distance to meet someone if you're interested in most or all of the birds. Sorry, gas is just too expensive to drive if you just want a couple of chicks, but feel free to come get 'em!

Thanks,
    Maria

2. AmeraucanaMD

AmeraucanaMD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2007
    Churchton MD
    Hey I might want a few blue Ameraucana chicks at some point. I have SQ HUGE black Ameraucanas and will be hatching in a few weeks. Maybe we could trade a few chicks of each color or something? I have a lot of other birds I could trade too...

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If they are "huge" then I want you to know there is a weight standard.

Cockerel 5 1/2 lbs, Rooster 6 1/2 lbs.

Pullet 4 1/2 lbs, Hen 5 1/2 lbs.

Or are you talking about the eggs? [​IMG]

4. Crunchie

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Haha, Jean, I love your new sig line. Somebody's gotta be the Ameraucana police, huh? [​IMG] ETA: you had changed your sig line to say "Ameraucana Police" (was "there's no I in Ameraucana") at the same time I was posting. Now it's really funny...

AmeraucanaMD--I saw another one of your posts somewhere on here and I think that you are who I bought my first WCB Polish from. [​IMG] I'd be happy to trade some birds, though I'll say that I just started this pen and my birds are still young, so it might be a while before I know exactly what I'm working with. The hens are nice (there are pics on my web site), but I think the rooster--not so much. But I have a couple from a recent hatch and I plan to hatch some more later so we can wait and see how they turn out. I'll let you know when I have more (I won't be offended if you tell me they're not what you're looking for). I have some eggs in the incubator now from Jean (Pips&Peeps) so I'm hoping for a good hatch to give me some better quality stock to work with later!

By the way, if you are who I think you are...you did have a lot of birds...do you have any bantam cochins? Just pet quality, any color, even just extra roosters would be fine. I've been trying to get ahold of some for my aunt--she just wants a couple as pets--and thanks to the P.O. scrambling them, I've had no luck hatching eggs.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  5. Crunchie

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I still have all of these birds available...someone needs to save me from myself (and my incubator)! [​IMG] If I don't make room, hubby's gonna pull the plug on the 'bator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by