1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young polish- can they go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eckielady, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    I have three young'ish polish chickens. I got them at an auction but I'm guessing they're about 10 weeks. Fully feathered but they still peep. They were in the coop but then we got hit with some pretty cold nights so I brought them in. They had been huddling outside so I just followed my instincts. We live in a very small place though and I'm desperately ready for them to go back outside. Today is supposed to be in the 40's again and nighttime temps and "better". There is one 29 coming up but otherwise they're all above freezing. Can these critters go out and stay out? [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You did not need to bring them in on the cold nights at that age---they huddle to keep warm when needed as long as they are out the wind and rain they will do good. What hurts is to bring them in for some days and its so much warmer inside---then back out again---that can make them sick. Mine go out at about 6 weeks with no heat unless--if its going to be way below freezing I might add a 40 watt light bulb a few inches off the floor in the back end of their coop area so they can warm if needed. I usually use a smaller dog house with bedding(no roost) at that age so they can snuggle up if needed.

3. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Ya, I worried about that but just wasn't sure. The weather had been so nice and then it just dropped. The temp in here is all over the place so i figure that's a good thing. They haven't been sitting in a constant 70 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by