Young Polish has neck thrown back!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GracefulBantams, Jul 20, 2010.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have a Polish that is a few months old. I just went out to check on their water, and one is sitting down and shaking his head with his neck held all the way back (almost laying on his back).
    What in the world is wrong!?
    It's very hot here - temp 100*, heat index 110* +.
    Also this one has been picked on some previously, and has missing head feathers, if this could possibly be from an injury??

2. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Go check the chick out? See if it can hold it's head up, or is it literally incapable?

3. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    "I" can bend it's head forward to the normal position (I did this to give it a drink), but it cannot hold it's head in that normal position.... it just goes all the way back and sometimes shakes its head [​IMG]

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    wonder if its like wryneck? try supplimenting with polyvisol and vit e twice a day- can't hurt, and isolate her for safety...

5. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wow! It must be wry neck; I just looked it up:

Wry Neck
    Problem: Neck bent backwards, or backwards and twisted and turn repeatedly in circles trying to gain balance.

Cause: Possibly genetic, or result of brain damage/infection, or bad feed.

Solution: If it is bad feed, feed from a syringe because they can't eat or drink. After a week of water, vitamins and food through syringe they may show signs of recovery.

If they have not started to recover, then it may be genetic or brain damage and the kindest outcome would be to put the chicken down as it will get worse until the chicken has a painful death.

I think we are going to have to put it down, though. It's neck is twisted all the way around so it's head is on the ground, but twisted. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by