Young pullet blood from nares - help!

Nendei

Chirping
May 30, 2020
I have a 3 month old pullet that has dried up blood around her nares. I checked into her mouth and noticed blood all up inside her nasal cavity. What could cause this?

Nendei

Chirping
May 30, 2020
I forgot to mention she free ranges with her siblings and they’re all fine. She is sneezing, but I think it’s because of all the blood in her nasal cavity.

Nendei

Chirping
May 30, 2020
Taking a better look at her, it seems she was injured. One of her pupils is stuck dilated and there looks to be a scratch in her eye. She’s also missing a waddle. I think she aspirated her blood because she sounds like as if she has a respiratory infection. She doesn’t have a respiratory infection. She still has bright blood up in the roof of her mouth. What can I do for her? I’m worried about her lungs.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
It sounds like she may have been attacked. Blood with from the beak and nostrils can sometimes be a sign of a respiratory diseases called ILT, a virus. But the symptoms with the scratched eye and missing waddle, the blood could be from an injury or attack. Do you think the other hens could have pecked her? Can you clean out the bood from the roof of her mouth with a finger swab or QTips? Can you post any pictures of her tomorrow? Is a vet possible tomorrow?

Nendei

Chirping
May 30, 2020
It sounds like she may have been attacked. Blood with from the beak and nostrils can sometimes be a sign of a respiratory diseases called ILT, a virus. But the symptoms with the scratched eye and missing waddle, the blood could be from an injury or attack. Do you think the other hens could have pecked her? Can you clean out the bood from the roof of her mouth with a finger swab or QTips? Can you post any pictures of her tomorrow? Is a vet possible tomorrow?
I’m aware of ILT, but I haven’t added anything new, I don’t know where she would’ve gotten that from. Other hens could of, but we’ve also been having an issue with a falcon that killed one of our hens 2 days ago. I was thinking maybe that could’ve done something, but I’m not sure. I’ll take pictures tomorrow, but there’s no vets in my area that take in avians- let alone have any knowledge of chickens. I just don’t want her to be in pain, she doesn’t seem like it.

Nendei

Chirping
May 30, 2020
There doesn’t seem to be blood up in her nasal cavity this morning. I tried to clean the dried blood from her beak and nares, but it won’t come off. When she breathes it sounds as if her lungs are filled with fluid. Is it possible she could’ve aspirated her blood? Her one eye is still very dilated- but she can see out of it we believe.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Could you post any pictures of her and her eyes? How does her crop feel? If it puffy and full? Does her airway sound rattly when she breathes? That may be what you are hearing. The lungs in chickens are a little different than humans. How is she doing on eating and drinking? Hydrogen peroxide on Qtips might get the blood off her beak.

Top Bottom