Young pullet not able to stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kitters, Apr 27, 2009.

1. kitters

kitters New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Hello,
    I have a five-week old RIR that is not able to stand. She can flap her wings when I pick her up, but when set down, will fall always to the right. Anything I can do to help her be 'on her toes' again?
    Thanks!

2. SoggyBottomHollow

SoggyBottomHollow New Egg

Apr 28, 2009
    I am having the same problem with a 5 day old chick. It keeps trying to turn it's head upside down and falling to the right. It is still very mobile, but runs into things and flaps its wings and falls over. What can I do for it? I am raising 20 chicks for a friend who wants to keep them organic. Any help would be appreciated!!

3. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    I had a 4 wk. old chick get weak on me and I was advised to give
    Poly-vi-sol (without iron). It's a children's vitamin drops. In about 3-4 days she was back to normal. Hope this helps

try doing a search on Poly-vi-sol here on BYC

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, vitamins are a good idea, can't hurt and do help treat some of the possible causes. And it could be that the cause is minor, like a minor injury, and they will get over these problems on their own.

If you want to research some of the possible causes, here is a good link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=15239

5. kitters

kitters New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks--I'll give the vitamins a try. She made it throught the night which is encouraging. I have separated her from her girls just in case it's something contagious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by