young pullet opening mouth very far and putting beak in the air

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenchok, Oct 24, 2008.

1. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Should I be worried? She's been doing this every few seconds for awhile now... not sure how long.
    Thank you!

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Was/is she eating? My chicks/chickens do that when they eat to fast and they are trying to get the food to go down.

3. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank you for your input... she seems fine now. Perhaps it was a big day outside in the fresh air! [​IMG] It's getting cool outside (in the 50's and 60's) and she and her buddies were out in a small pen in the yard for a few hours today.

Thanks again.

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Your welcome. I love to watch them play outside. Glad she is doing better.

5. burntumber

burntumber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    There are common parasites called Gapeworm that will cause them to make odd motions like this.

6. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    You don't say how old your chicken is and if you are certain it is a pullet, but when our rooster was only 3-4 weeks old he would do something very similar - and it ended up he was sort of practicing to crow [​IMG] He finally got it out around 6 weeks of age. This may not be what your chicken is doing, but from the description, it sounds similar, so thought I'd mention it......

Penny

7. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    I had one doing this. When I picked her up and looked in her mouth she had a stick caught in her throat. I had to use a pair of needle nosed pliers to pull it out. After a couple of days she was fine.

8. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    she is a Buff Orpington, about 5 weeks old. And she has a yellow comb. so I don't think she is a rooster. But she might be.[​IMG] did yours have a yellow comb?

thanks,
    chickenchock

9. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    No, but none of mine had yellow combs - they all started out kind of pink.

At 5 weeks, I'm sure you're right. I just didn't know if it was still a iddy bitty biddy ;-)

Has she been doing it anymore? Hopefully it was just one of those odd things that chicks do to scare the snot out of the owner.

Take care,
    Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by