young pullet question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gapeachy, Dec 15, 2008.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I have 10 young RIR pullets that are about 4 months old....anyway I have 10 nest boxes where my domiques hens lay....well sometimes I go out to the pen and some of the RIR pullets and sitting in the boxes like they are going to lay an egg....I said what the heck....I told my DH and he said that maybe they are just sitting there getting warm....I feed laying crumbles and 3way scratch mix....do you think they are trying to lay early?

2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I would say 4 months old is a little young. They are probably just sitting in there cause its nice and comfy. Are they sleeping there? If so, I would go out at night and move them to a roost so they don't develope bad bad habits.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    4 months is 16+ weeks. For a hatchery RIR you should start seeing some eggs in the next couple of weeks if they get enough light.

Sitting is a nest box doesn't mean anything much. Honestly. They don't even know it is a nest box. To them it a place with some fluffy bedding they can nestle into and be comfy for a nice nap.

That is why many old farmers close off the nest boxes. They need to sleep on the roosts and stay out of the nest boxes until they are laying. It keep the nests and eggs cleaner. They also will poop in there if you let them keep sleeping there.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think DH might be right on this one ( [​IMG] ) Or they might just be exploring the boxes for when they do lay !! Ive seen my younger (non-laying) hens go into a nest box to explore or hang out !!

Maybe your one of the lucky ones and will have hens laying at 4 months, with chickens I think anything is possible

5. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I dont think they are sleeping there...I have 3 roost....plus I have not seen any poop in the boxes....that would be yuck..

6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I was going to post the same question today.

I have 2 little OEGB girls that are almost 4 months old. I have caught them checking out the laying boxes the last few days, once they were in their together & the other couple times they were by themselves.

I thought they were to young yet to lay so when I see them in the boxes I just pick them up & pet them & then put them down on the floor. [​IMG]

I don't want to discourage them from laying eggs but I don't want messes in their either. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by