1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young pullet with Coccidiosis!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Karisma118, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Karisma118

Karisma118 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Nebo, NC
    I have a young pullet with Coccidiosis..Got her last week and noticed yesterday that she was showing signs of coccidiosis....Got Sulmet last night and put some in her water as well as gave her some of the sulmet water in a syringe to make sure she got a little...Today she is acting a little better but there is now blood in the stool that wasnt there yesterday.....My question is how long after treating with Sulmet will i notice if she is getting better?Is it too soon for her to show signs of the Sulmet working? is there a certain time frame? and also how much Sulmet water would she have to drink to get enough of what she needs to try to fight the cocci? any and all opninions are appreciated!! thank you!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    How old is she?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

Sometimes the cocci causes irritation and infection in the chicks innards, and that's why you see the blood. The Sulmet will kill the cocci, but then you may need to add some Tylan into her drinking water as well, which is an antibiotic to help with that irritation and infection the cocci has caused.

I personally use a product called Corid, which is a powder often used for bovine, instead of the Sulmet, because it is more gentle on a chicken's systems. That can be purchased from the farm store for around $35.00 a packet. It works great on Cocci, and I usually don't have to buy the Tylan then.

The Cocci is kind of an organism (I don't know the scientific terms), and it loves a very hot, humid, wet environment, so keep you little chick's bedding and such super clean and dry. Usually, after a chicken turns around 17 weeks old, they have built up immunities and they don't get cocci.

Good luck to you and I hope your pullet improves and recovers,
    Sharon

4. Karisma118

Feb 2, 2012
    Nebo, NC
    She is about 2.5 months old......Thank you for the feedback!

5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Are sure that is what it is, I was under the impression that after a couple weeks it is no longer an issue.

6. Karisma118

Feb 2, 2012
    Nebo, NC
    I assume that it is cocci because of her symptoms.. I am new to the chickenworld! :)

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I could be wrong, I've never had it or used medicated feed. If your brooder has been clean you shouldn't have to worry about it they get it from poop.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Cocci isn't usually a worry once your pullet or cockerel is around 17 week of age. This pullet is definitely young enough to get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by