Young quail release or pen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jl34, Jun 29, 2016.

1. jl34

jl34 New Egg

Jun 29, 2016
    Hello Ina frost time bloger and I need some questions answered about quail. I have some young quail about 4-5 weeks old, what age is good to release them and can I put them in a pen with chickens. Pen is about 20x10 l shape around a barn. It's got a small opening for them to go in out. Any help is appreciated.

2. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quail can fly so can't be out in the open - they'll need to be kept in a run with a roof. You can keep them with chickens, but most people on here seem to agree that it's not a good idea, as the chickens could make the quail ill. I don't know a whole lot about this subject, so I suggest checking out the quail section of the forums, it's under 'other poultry'. Good luck!
    Oh and welcome to BYC :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. UniqueQuail

UniqueQuail Just Hatched

Jun 6, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Hi. Yeh you can't leave quail to free range like chickens as they can fly and are too stupid to come home at night. Even if by some miracle you trained them to return they would be too vulnerable to any predators due to there small size. Keeping with Chickens are not recommended due to disease but also if a chicken decided, it could kill a quail pretty quick. As you know all poultry can have a mean streak. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by