1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

young roo breeding banty hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hunter1hall, Oct 8, 2009.

1. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    I have young BCM roos that is trying to breed a bantam light brown leghorn hen. I am tempted to incubate the egg i get to see if it hatches and what it becomes. At what age would a young roo be sexually mature. He is about 12 weeks old now.

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Quote:I don't know if there is an exact age but I would say at least a year and preferably older than that. Some breeders won't use a rooster for breeding until at least two or three years old.
    That is not to say a younger bird couldn't get the job done.
    Also as that roo gets older, he will be too big for a bantam hen and will likely injure her.

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I have eggs in the bator now from a 14 week old roo. They are on day 11 and only 3 out 0f 14 were not fertile, the rest are growing strong. I can see a breeder waiting much longer to ensure the quality of the bird as an adult.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd be more concerned with him hurting her than if the eggs are fertile or not.

5. ladyj

ladyj Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    east texas
    Mr. Roo was a standard Danish Leghorn and Shawnie a black cochin
    bantamthey were both young.under 6 months, 2 survived and they died 2 days later, I think the problem was her eggs were too small as 10 of the 12 there were fully developed chicks, but they had suffucated in the shell. jmo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by