Young Roo Kicked by a Horse, we Think His Leg Is Broken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aslea, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Aslea

Aslea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Leesburg GA
    My Roodaroo (his name) was out with the others today when me and my Mare started to play and she bolted and ran right over him. He's a bit slow in the brain which is why he wasn't able to move fast enough out of the way. I am pretty sure his leg is broken at the joint, when you feel the leg rotates rather than goes forward and back like the unhurt leg. He also tries to put weight on it but falls when he tries, not fully out of pain but it looks more like the leg isn't cooperating (broken).

I don't think his spine is broken, the other leg is working fine. He might have broken the tip of his wing but its his leg I am more concerned about.

He's already stunted, only about 3 inches taller than a bantam but is a full Orpington at 7 months old. Something else is wrong with him but we don't know what. He is skin and bone but eats fine. He is with our Bantam who allows him to eat plenty.

How should I prepare him? I have him inside with food and water.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd splint it with bandage wrap and a splint. Make sure it's straight as possible.

3. Aslea

Jul 31, 2014
    Leesburg GA
    Would a coat hanger work as a splint?

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Something more like a popsicle stick. I would be concerned about a wire not holding the leg in place as it would tend to rotate around the leg. Be sure not to get it too tight as well. You can keep a check on his toes to make sure they are warm and the circulation not cut off.

5. Aslea

Jul 31, 2014
    Leesburg GA
    He is standing on it and is putting more weight on it. I think the joint is dislocated a bit. He can still move all his toes and retract the leg, and has stood up and walked a few steps in the last few hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by