Young roo losing balance (video included) - update: vet visit, he's improving!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dudu, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Dear all,

My Albert who just 10 days ago seemed just fine, running in the yard with everyone and coming when I call his name, right now is very bad - he's losing balance and I have no clue why, so I thought I'd ask here (tomorrow if we can get an appointment we're taking him to the doctors also, but I wanted to be prepared and share any experiences that you may post for me).

He is a bantam mix, male, about 6 months old, and he has felt lighter than I'd like to see him, for quite some time (in fact his two brothers passed away in the summer very thin - I didnt know back then that Ivermectin doesn't take care of all worms, so POSSIBLY it was tapeworm, who knows). Albert got dewormed with it also I believe, but it was a while ago.

About a week ago I noticed that in the yard, when someone accidentally pushes him, he kind of goes down on one side, like losing balance for a second and then immediately regains it. I thought nothing of it the first day, but the second day I was there and it repeated itself, so I took him home immediately.

During these Xmas days now it has gotten to this:

(it's a 2.25 min video, you can see him first being normal, then losing balance and then regaining it on his own).

He doesn't appear like one of his legs are doing it to him - we've had some birds with what may have been Marek's and it was different - his legs seem to be working, it's just as if he gets dizzy for a moment?

We don't have anyone else with these symptoms and I've never seen it like this - except maybe on an old ex-batt hennie that first went blind and then began to have fits, struggling to get up etc. I sure hope this is not the same thing coming. :((((

Being in the worm mode right now (what with another roo who may or may not have tapeworm, however he lived completely isolated from Albert until I brought Albert home, and even here their path don't really cross), I was thinking that this dizzyness may be caused by tapeworm toxines, so I went ahead and treated him with Albendazole 3 days ago. His condition has remained the same, except he had some runny poop coloured poo for a couple of days (today poop seems back to normal).

He is still eating and drinking - I am giving him vitamins in water now (a complex), and he eats layers pellets + cracked corn, and in the morning I also make him soaked oat flakes + broiler pellets + live yogurt + avian enzyme + boiled egg + with or without apple cider vinegar.

He eats quite well, and to keep him full I have now started offering him this wet mix in the evening also.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

Thank you,
    Irena

2. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    And this was him, filmed just 10 days ago - on 16 December:

A small note - in November he had dry fowl pox, but it didn't seem to affect him much. We treated him with iodine on the warts.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry your rooster is sick. Hopefully we can find the problem. It might be Newcastle Disease. Could he have gotten injured?? I'm thinking maybe if he was in a fight he might have had some brain damage. Thanks for all the information and vision. It was very helpful.

4. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

He seems to be better in this video.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Thanks for the quick reply, I don't think he'd ever get into a fight, but he may have gotten pecked by someone (though he's usually very neutral in the yard).

I sure hope it's not Newcastle Disease, I'd probably go and hang myself then. I don't want to be in denial either, but it's scary to even imagine something like that. We've had enough problems with our chickies, God knows.

And yes, in the second link I posted, he was perfectly fine (well, for him anyway), and then a couple of days later I started noticing these symptoms which have now progressed to something that bad (first link).

6. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Ok. Well I will keep thinking but right now I don't have a clue. Sorry.

7. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Just thought I'd post a quick update for future reference, in case something similar happens to someone else - we went to our avian doctor and he checked him thoroughly and said that he seems very strong, apart from this lack of coordination. He assumed some inflammation, possibly from a trauma/hit, or else lead poisoning. He prescribed anti-inflammatory and in short, he seems (fingers crossed and thank God and our doc) much much better now. I hope it continues that way for him. Thanks for your thoughts too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by