1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Roo not getting 'it' done.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ryu, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Well I just did fertility checks on my young rooster, he's not getting the job done. I put my most easy going hen in with him, she was fertile with my older roo 4 weeks ago.

He is very interested in breeding, she doesn't seem to mind him or run away when they are scratching and just hanging out, but when he does mount she just screams and thrashes around. I don't know what he's doing, but she's not into it.

Any advice? I could just AI him. He is a Standard Cornish, but he should be able to go naturally--which would be my preference.

The olny thing I could think to do would be to put him in with more hens. Maybe she's stressed out being the only one and having his attention all the time?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Cochins have a lot of butt fuff he my not be hitting his target so to speak.
    Or he has not practiced enough. When they are young it takes time.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    If you just leave him in with her the fertility should come around.

How old is he?

4. Ryu

Jan 6, 2009
    He's a Cornish, very not fluffy.

5. Ryu

Jan 6, 2009
    Quote:I bought him in November, based on his feathering then and how much he's grown, I'd say he was at least 4-5 months old. So he's minimum 9-10 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by