Young Roo overly amorous with unwilling old hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ameracauna-momma, Oct 24, 2008.

1. ameracauna-momma

ameracauna-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Litchfield, CT
    Have a young roo enjoying the heck out of all his ladies, problem is with one old hen who refuses to succumb to his throes of love. She is terrified and has resorted to digging a hole and hiding under the coop all day. Her old lady sister does just fine. What do I do???

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Reminds me of my college days.

3. ameracauna-momma

ameracauna-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Litchfield, CT
    Yikes! So then you know from experience what I should do? [​IMG]

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

hmmm... she must be married to him! [​IMG]

I'd probably separate her from him....I'd rather her enjoy herself alone rather than hide all away all day...good luck!

5. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    We ended up making a little bachelor pad for our young roo. He was not very gentle with the ladies (who were losing a lot of saddle feathers and getting cuts), and we didn't really want fertilized eggs. He gets time in the run with the hens but then 'retires' to his own area. The only drawback...he is an excellent protector, and always on the watch for his ladies, but this works better for us as long as we take his place when he's not there.

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Do you have a bottle of good wine, a bottle of cheap wine, a Barry Manilow record, a bubble machine, some soft rope and a blind fold?

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Just wanted to say [​IMG] to ya!

In between all the good-natured joking, there was some excellent advice. You need to separate the rooster from the ladies. You can either take the older hen and put her in a separate place with one or two of her sisters, or have the rooster hang out in his own "bachelor pad." If you do a search for "bachelor pad" on this forum, you'll find a thread with a lot of good ideas for how to set one up.

8. PassthePeace1

PassthePeace1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My DH was raised in the city, and never saw chickens mate until we moved out in the country a few years ago. The first time he witnessed the deed, he came in the house visable shaken....lol....he said he wasn't sure if he witnessed an act of nature or a crime. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

My 10 year old saw this for the first time when we first got our flock and came in the same way....shocked and telling me the roo was wrestling with her....I explained (with God's help) that the roo was only kissing her on the head...."But WHY????" asked my son....and my quick, miraculous response was "because chickens don't have lips!"

--he no more questions!

[​IMG]

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You got a 10 year old to fall for that??? I've got 11 year old 6th graders who can tell me more about the birds and the bees than I knew in college.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by