1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

young roo, questionable breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 3spittingducks, Sep 22, 2015.

1. 3spittingducks

3spittingducks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2015
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Hi, I need help identifying this young roo. Had some trouble getting pictures this morning so I am hoping these are good enough to do the trick. The comb looks buttercup to me, but I am inexperienced. Thanks for any feedback you can offer. In the pics, it is the all-over, even patterned, grey/black/white, striped/dotted roo. I left out "tweed".[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    It's a mixed breed

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Mixed breed

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Well, he's barred, muffed, bearded, has white legs, and is lightly crested. All of those are dominant genes. There are probably several breeds that went into his creation. There is probably some Polish, some Easter Egger, and some Cuckoo Marans in there.

5. 3spittingducks

Sep 21, 2015
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Thanks for your insight. I thought about cuckoo maran myself. I know the woman who sold the two in these pictures was doing EE, but she could not figure him out because he looked so different from all the other EE chicks that hatched. He is growing FAST and getting feisty. The other roo in the picture is his best friend. They hang out shoulder to shoulder all around the farm. I think he will be beautiful, but he is already bullying younger chickens, so his future is uncertain. Hmmmmm . . . . . . . .his name was Rose, until all those tail feathers showed up [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

And just to confirm, you know the other bird in the pics is a male also, right?

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed.

8. 3spittingducks

Sep 21, 2015
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Yes, thanks. He is one of two that look like that. Their feet are feathered. I am thinking they are EE roos, does that sound right? They are BEAUTIFUL!! but I am going to be overpopulated in the roo department so some of them will need to go.

9. 3spittingducks

Sep 21, 2015
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Thanks. Maybe he is best described as a Churkendoose. I think I know what may have inspired the author of that children's book[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by