Young Roo with torn wattle... Should I try to suture, steri strip or?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurieks, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    The boys got into it today... no more free ranging for Cornelius! [​IMG] ETA in retrospect (& observation) I think Corny was only defending himself.
    The pubescent roo has a quarter sized flap torn loose on one wattle, see crude pic. If it were my skin I'd tape it down to at least protect the cleansed wound. Does that work with Chooks?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Barnevelder roo, 6 months old, ?8 lbs.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Shaking head at times (I think the wound tickles/burns & he hopes to shake it off), otherwise just demoralized.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A few hours.
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Drying blood on neck feathers, scratches on comb & wattles, big tear on left wattle with flap of wattle hanging down.
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. The Banty Fav roo (Cornelius) in my Avatar (but not for long) has bloody claws and big attitude (and is now confined).
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Good appetite, ate Bumble Bar bits (sesame almond honey coconut yumm) from my hand. (No relation to bumble foot thank heaven).
    7) How does the poop look? NA
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Cleaned with iodine & water, held flap back in place for 20 min, which stayed til he shook his head again. Rubbed healing salve on other nicks & owies.
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I have steri strips I can put on... not sure if most of you would stick flap in place, suture, tape, or cut it off.
    10) If you have a picture....
    Couldn't get a good pic but did a drawing:
    [​IMG]
    This one shows the flap back in place... surfaces were still moist so I hoped it would stick. It didn't.
    [​IMG]
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. He's happily asleep now perched in the coop with his brother & their ladies.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Im not sure...tough one. Maybe i would leave it it will clot up right && should still be healthy. But im stumped. Hope this bumps ya up & someone else helps!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would think it needs to be approximated into the correct position. "Super glue" it worked in the vietnam war.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Just leave it alone. If it bothers YOU, then snip it off. Happens all the time.......Pop

5. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    ty all!
    It's dangling this morning but no one's picking at it, which was the biggest fear.
    Anyone want a free banty fav roo with an attitude? (he attacks us too)(he's entered in Stockton show in a week, then he's moving out!)
    L

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by