Young rooster advice

Ourminizoo2021

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
I have a young rooster about 14 weeks old , Id like him to be as friendly as possible especially since I have kids so I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice ? I usually pick him up a few times a week and if I put him on my lap he seems to melt there and remains pretty calm. He walks over to me, he will take food from my hands and doesn't crow at me or my daughter but hes not a big fan of other people that come by.. he doesn't crow at my husband but he definitely keeps an eye on him especially if he goes near the hens he will fluff himself up and stick his head up. I've also noticed he doesn't like when I pick up the other ones and sometimes when I put them on the ground he sort of pecks at them and seems mad at them ?

A rooster's primary job inherently is to protect the flock. Then comes fertilizing eggs, finding food, keeping peace in the flock, etc..
At 14 weeks, your boy is still a cockerel and has yet to mature or obtain his full hormones or behavior.
Lots of people have various methods to deal with roosters, most of which I disagree with.
We must keep in mind that the hens are HIS flock. We don't want to anthropomorphize our animals. Most humans don't keep a huge harem nor are humans in most modern environments, ever vigilant for predators or others infringing on their harem. Animals outdoors have different issues they must deal with than humans.
Roosters don't understand humans' desire to hold or play with hens. When we pick them up, and especially when the hens squawk, that is the call to action for a rooster to come to their rescue. IMHO, that is the main cause of conflict between roosters and their owners. Also, when small children are involved, they tend to move quickly and run around. That can spell predator to a rooster.
You and I obviously raise chickens quite differently. I never handle the hens during the day. I haven't had a few roosters. Over the years, I've had about 200 roosters.
About 10 years ago, I had two roosters that attacked me. I gave them a second chance and then they tasted just like chicken. One was a partridge rock and the other a white rock. I don't consider this anecdotal evidence an indictment on Plymouth Rocks but I do think the breed matters to an extent.
With all those roosters, mostly free ranging, I haven't been attacked in about 10 years and I attribute that to letting them do their job while I do mine and everything works smoothly.

Last edited:
For Pete's sake give the rooster a chance. Somebody always has to come through with "alternate advice" and theirs is always best, according to them. Only you know how you're doing with your rooster. People can say whatever they want. We've had chickens for 16 years, and we've had one mean rooster in all that time, and that's been back in 2005. So, thank God I haven't had 200 roosters, because if I had, I too would be calling others out on "anthropomorfizing". We HAVE had lots and lots of roosters though, I remember every one, every one had names and their own personalities. I don't call it "anthropomorfizing" to be able to relate to your animals, understand where they are coming from,, what they're thinking, and why they behave the way they do. . I think many animals, including poultry, are a lot more intelligent than what people give them credit for....and in fact I often wonder about just what exactly the definition of higher and lower animals is, after having experienced some people.

I have rehomed a few roosters over that time and have been able to guarantee every one as being gentle. As a result, now people seek me out locally when they want chickens. I hate to get rid of any of them, but there does come a time when a flock gets too large, at which point one ceases to relate to or care about them.

All that being said, and in light of 16 years experience with what I'd call a medium sized flock, I stand by what I said originally....keep handling him, and see how it goes. He should settle down.

Ok he's a baby right now he's in the stage where like most young things of any species he's adorable and mostly harmless.
He's about to hit puberty, he'll have little to no adorable qualities during this time.... think 13 year old boy with alternating waves of hormone driven aggression and unwanted romantic outbursts towards everything.
He'll then emerge as your actual rooster.
This is when you worry if he's good or bad, he's fully baked by this point.
You waste your time worrying about it now, he's not done.:)

Back
Top Bottom