Young Rooster beating up older hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kkoerner, Apr 10, 2009.

1. kkoerner

kkoerner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    I have a year old rooster that has 8 one year old hens in with him. I got an 8 year old hen from a friend about 3 weeks ago and my roo won't stop beating up on her. He won't let her out of the coop and will even go into the coop to peck at her if she comes to close to the doorway. She won't come out of the coop unless I am there, she immediately comes down to eat/drink and even if I let the others out to free range and close the pen door so it is just her in there she goes right back into the coop. The other hens have pretty much ignored her. The first few days I left them all in together so she would get used to being here and then I opened the gate (free range during the day) and she disappeared. I found her the next day in the woods. Then I thought I would let all but her out to free range for the last part of the day so she could have time to come out and eat. This last week I finally made her an area that I can put her into during the day and then put her into the coop at night. Get up in the morning and he won't let her out still. I have been doing some reading (BYC rocks) and saw that everyone that has a mean one will seperate the mean one and later reintroduce. I was wondering if I seperated the roo from the flock, do you think it would help? Has anyone had any experience in this type of situation? I only have the one roo and would like to keep him to protect the hens when out free ranging. He has also started trying to be dominant towards us (me and my son), I have been following some of the recommendations on this site although I have yet to pick him up and carry him around. If he is determined not to calm down I will get rid of him as I have younger kids. The hen is old, but she is the calmest/sweetest of all of them. BTW, my friend got rid of her for this same reason. She has 3 young roosters and only one was acting this way towards this hen. So, any help or ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I had this same situation for a year. My rooster was second in the pecking order as far as the roosters were concerned. The top rooster died so Slyvester moved to the top of the pecking order. This roo went after a Blk Orp hen (top hen in the pecking order) relentlessly. I finally got to the point in which I had enough so each day the rooster went outside the coop and run. I went through this routine for a good year and then finally I let the roo stay in and he didn't immediately go after her and has not since.

3. kkoerner

Apr 6, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    My only problem is I want/need to let the hens out each day to free range (pen area is big enough for them all but why should they be punished?) and they need to be able to get back in to their nest to lay eggs. So I will have to get him out. But it is good to know that maybe I can put him elsewhere during the day and in with them at night. As I only have the one coop. Don't really want him in the garage if I can help it.

4. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Don't know if you frequent garage sales but if you do look for the old wire dog crates, they make EXCELLENT chicken cages. Until he learns to behave (he may never) he can go to jail each day until he learns to be nice to all.
    Is the new hen bigger than he is?

5. kkoerner

Apr 6, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    No he is bigger. And I already have one of those dog crates. Just have to get it cleaned up and put outside. Do you think it will be okay to still have him close by? I could understand if noone was getting along with her, but the other hens could really care less. I have seen one of them peck her, but it was right after the roo attacked her. He has plucked quite a few feathers off her back, but no wounds yet thank goodness. She doesn't fight back, she tries to run away from him but when she realizes she can't she immediately hunkers down. Like she is saying okay okay I give up, don't hurt me.

6. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Yep, you can keep him in the coop or in the run. My roo just hung outside the run fence all day and when I locked up at night I opened the people door, he walked right in, and went to roost.

My roo bloodied my hen up pretty good too, mainly her comb and neck. My hen also ran but when she tired she just submitted and took the beating. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AT IT'S BEST.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by