1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Young rooster behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whillo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. whillo

whillo Songster

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    I have an 8 week old SLW that I'm still questioning whether I have a roo or a hen. Is there any way to tell by the behavior with the ones I'm pretty positive are girls? For instance, would a rooster back down from one of the girls that seems like she is the top hen? My BO chases the Wyandotte off quite a bit and if she sees the Orpington by the food or in a corner it's an about face immediately. He/she seems more alert to noises or Kitty walking by the pen, but so does the BO and my little bantam barred rock. Don't the roosters get dominant to the girls or does that come at a later age?

Edited to delete pic of my particular roo/hen. Mostly curious about young rooster behavior. Lots of threads on here about roosters once they show their true colors, but is there anything leading up to that first crow? The dominance thing really confuses me. I mean, don't the GIRLS already know if they're dealing with a male?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010

2. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Songster

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    my vote is pullet [​IMG]

3. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    you might try posting in the What Breed/Gender Is This section. I'm sure someone there could tell you if its a girl or a boy.

4. whillo

whillo Songster

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Any baby rooster behavior stories?

5. cubby

cubby Hatching

Jun 9, 2013
    My husband brought home two youngsters. A silkie and a seabright. I was certain right off the bat they were Roos. They were both very cocky, lol. He said no. They were inseperable. About a month went by and every time I let them in the yard they start sparring. It's hilarious to watch! Then low and behold just yesterday a sweaky little crow from the seabright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by