young rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by groleau6, Aug 13, 2014.

1. groleau6

groleau6 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    Our rooster is just over 6 months, and has been part of our flock for bout 2 months now. This past week he has started trying to walk on my hens, or walking over their back half. I have only had hens before--I didn't want to deal with a rooster, but my daughter talked me into it for FFA. Also this past week he has seemed to get somewhat possessive with my girls, he doesn't like us coming into the coop with them-one in particular. Is this normal rooster behavior or do I need to worry about him starting to get aggressive?

2. NC118

NC118 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Welcome NC
    sounds like he is trying to mate with them. I'm having the same problem because I only have 4 hens and he is pecking on the neck and back but they don't squat down because they are only 17 weeks old. From what I have read the hens will start to squat so they can mate and it wont be as bad. I would just watch him and make sure he doesn't hurt any of them.

My rooster also is starting to be very possessive and crowing at me when I come into the coop to change their food and water so not sure how much longer I can keep him..

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's normal cockerel behavior when sexual maturity. Getting on their backs is his attempt to mate them. He'll get possessive of them and may challenge you. Put him inline if he does right away. Slow and obvious movement is what works well and why most older cockerels and roosters don't do well with young children. Fast, spastic and usually needless activity puts them on defence.

Cockerels can be tiresome when figuring out the role of protector but usually calm down after a few months and as roosters can be very docile around humans. If they stay antsy and jerky then they make great gumbo too.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by