Young Rooster Being Bullied by Three Older Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Jan 4, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I recently put a six-month-old rooster in with three one-year-old hens that had been with another older, aggressive rooster for several months. They seem determined to make this young rooster's life miserable; they won't even let him feed or drink, and they make him sleep in the drop pan under their roost.
    He just doesn't seem to want to try to defend himself and cowers in corners or wherever he can hide from them. Meanwhile, I let him out to feed and water him; also, I've removed the meanest hen. He did well with one when I removed two hens temporarily, but when I put one back he had trouble with two.
    Q: Will he take charge when he gets older?
    Q: Has anyone ever had a young rooster that didn't "take charge" eventually?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Q: Will he take charge when he gets older? Yes
    Q: Has anyone ever had a young rooster that didn't "take charge" eventually? No

I've deliberately put cockerels who were bullying pullets (hogging the feeder, chasing from water, pecking/dominating for no reason, other aggression) in with older hens to "take them down a peg". They always learn a tough lesson for a couple months. But eventually they do take charge in a very gentlemanly way and become very nice flock roos.

I've also moved "docile" 2nd rung cockerels out of pens to get them away from alpha roos. They are usually pushed around by older hens for awhile too. But they take charge as well and are great flock roos.

Unless the hens draw blood (highly unlikely since he's 6 mo old), I wouldn't worry.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:WOW! Thanks, Kim_NC, that's all great news because I really need this little guy for my breeding program. I put him back in the pen with the truly-fantastic rooster that he has bonded with and looks to for protection. I'll leave him there for another month to grow up more.
    EDIT: I've put his brother, same age, in with those three terrorist hens, and he's breeding them. He's not the color that I want, but he'll have to do for a while until the scaredy-cat grows up a little more.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Terrorist hens...lol, too funny. I'll have to remember that one to use at an appropriate time. Holy smoke, amazing that they allowed the brother cockerel to breed right away. He must be the persausive type.

5. Mrs Tizzler

Mrs Tizzler New Egg

May 1, 2014
    Appreciate it's been more than a little while since you posted about this (I googled 'cockerel being bullied' and got this result!). I'd be really interested to know if he did take charge and how long it took to happen.

You can probably guess why I'm asking. I've had my 20 week old chap for a week now, I've had to partition him off from my four older girls (who I've had a year), the two bossy ones have gone bat crazy at him. They're all marans by the way and he's twice the size of the girls but a right pansy at the moment..... :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by