1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young Rooster coming of age...might get ugly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tenneesse, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Tenneesse

Tenneesse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    Woodbury, Middle Tn
    I have 6 Columbian Cochins. A mature Rooster and a 6 month old that is still somewhat attached to the hen but every day its obvious the mature rooster is indicating theres trouble ahead. There are 4 hens, 2 laying and one with a young one in tow that was hatched the same time the young rooster hatched.

How much conflict can I anticipate between the 2 roosters. these birds all range and when I was letting them out this morning there was some quarreling with the big guy and the youngster. Well not much of a quarrel more like hey Im going kick your young butt and I got between them. Once they were out of the coop he chase the young a little then lightened up.

Even the hens are picking on the youngster around the scratch pans and he has been maintaining his distance. Is there a chance this will all pass or is blood inevitable if I dont take steps and what might my options be?

The youngster is really a well marked bird probably the best of the 6 and I hate to think I may have to take steps of getting rid of him. If it comes to that is there anyone who would be interested?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Much of the time a younger rooster raised in the flock will know his place and not challenge the alpha rooster. The older rooster may give warning signs by threatening to give a kick, and if the young rooster heeds the warning, then a real confrontation is averted. I have some young roosters and they stay out of the way of the alpha rooster. If the young rooster tries to mate with the hens he might get a flogging, but hopefully, if he doesn't challenge the head rooster, no real fighting will break out.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep an eye on them. If the young cockerel tries to step up the situation may escalate. I would be most concerned about the rooster hurting the cockerel while they are locked in the coop.

4. Tenneesse

Tenneesse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    Woodbury, Middle Tn
    I will watch tonight when they go in it was in the coop this morning that a ruckus began. When I went in the Alpha was off the roost and the juvie was still on the roost. When he came down the Alpha took after him

I have a separator that divides the coop for a brooder side I may evict the hen and her 6 month old and see how it works out with him in there. thanks for the insight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by