Young rooster crow - voice change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrambleCreekFarm, Jul 21, 2008.

1. BrambleCreekFarm

BrambleCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Concord GA
    So I have a young OEGB about 3 months old, he has been crowing for over a month this funny awful screech sounding crow- do roo's go through a "voice" change when they mature? [​IMG] I just cant imagine that his crow will continue to be such a screeching sound.

2. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I am not sure about your roo, but a couple of my hens are sounding a little weird. They are about 5 months old.

[​IMG]

3. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Our banty boys started crowing about 6 weeks back. It was a kind of "Errrr" at first, kind of gravelly, like a teenager whose voice is changing. A few days later he added the second part: "Errr errr". After that he got to 3 parts. He got louder and stronger as he got more practice. Now he crows just like the big boys, just higher pitched!

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    When our BR started crowing it sounded like a clown horn. A squeaky, honk-beep noise. You couldn't tell what it was. I thought the kids got the bikes out and were honking the horn. I took about a week to be a crow.

5. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeppers, just like human boys...I LOVE all my roos, only one is an adult that I inherited as a wild man so the others are learning to crow because they can hear the older bantam roo who does a great job of protecting his banty girls and my cornishx's.

6. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Haha I never knew roos went through a voice change! [​IMG]

7. pokachix

pokachix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    Buckley WA
    Yes, they do have to go through a "learning" phase of crowing. I remember my roos would sound like moose w/kazoo for about a week. Took a few days to figure out where the awful sounds were coming from! One more fun things bout chix! Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by