Young rooster crowing constantly

MsChickenMomma

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
Hello everyone.

I have a young three month old bantam rooster that has been crowing almost constantly since he learned how to crow. The crowing doesn't bother me at all, but the thing is.... I'm not allowed to have roosters at all where I live. So this little guy is a house pet. But he crows constantly. He'll stop if I take him out and play with him and keep him busy, but as soon as I put him back in his cage he starts up again. It's not too loud, since he's just a bantam. But we can't even risk having our windows open right now because once he gets started, he doesn't stop. And if the neighbors hear him, they could call the city and that would mean some big trouble for us. I already have more hens than I am allowed to, which is bad enough. But if you also add a rooster into the mix, I'm looking at losing my whole flock if the city is called with a complaint.

Somy question is... Is he only crowing this much because crowing is a new thing to him, or is he always going to crow this much? And is there any way to quiet his crowing so that we don't have to worry quite so much about the neighbors hearing him? I have heard of the no crow collars before. Does anyone know how well those work? And would there be more of a risk of him choking or anything? I'd worry about him having something around his throat like that. But if it's safe and humane, and works. I'm definitely willing to give it a try.

Thanks everyone! :)

I had a rooster for a while in a place where roosters will be killed if animal control finds them. He was supposed to be a she, but the moment he started crowing we knew we had to make sure by doing a sex test on him. He was a sweet, purebred GLW and loved humans. I ended up giving him to a local farm where I visit him every Sunday.

Anyways, if there's somewhere that would take him where they would treat him nicely and he wouldn't end up on the table, I would suggest giving him away. Roosters are supposed to crow and keeping them from doing that can be difficult.

But, if you really don't want to give him away, I would suggest a crow collar. They work wonders and I found this one to be the best. It even has a cute little bowtie you can add to your handsome boy!

Good luck!

I had a rooster for a while in a place where roosters will be killed if animal control finds them. He was supposed to be a she, but the moment he started crowing we knew we had to make sure by doing a sex test on him. He was a sweet, purebred GLW and loved humans. I ended up giving him to a local farm where I visit him every Sunday.

Anyways, if there's somewhere that would take him where they would treat him nicely and he wouldn't end up on the table, I would suggest giving him away. Roosters are supposed to crow and keeping them from doing that can be difficult. 

But, if you really don't want to give him away, I would suggest a crow collar. They work wonders and I found this one to be the best. It even has a cute little bowtie you can add to your handsome boy!

Good luck!

Thank you. :)

Giving him away isn't really an option. He's a house pet, and has become a part of the family. As long as the windows are closed, the neighbors will never know he's here. It's just in the summer time when the windows are open on a nice day, or if a neighbors comes to the house for whatever reason, that we worry about having him.

I think I'm going to look into the no crow collar. It seems like the best option for us.

Thank you for the help.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that your baby will stop crowing with his collar. I'm sure he'll be happier at your house rather than a farm, but keep in mind that roosters can become aggressive.

D.gif

Is he your only chicken? Chickens are flock animals and aren't not meant to live solitary lives. A rooster will crow when he can't see his whole flock. It's part of his job, as flock protector, to keep the flock together. It's instinct to call out to the flock members he can't see. Unless you are willing to be his flock 24/7, rehome him or get him at least 4 or 5 girls.

I am wondering why you're jeopardizing not only your rooster, but your right to keep any chickens at all by keeping not only an illegal rooster, but also more hens than allowed. Roosters crow. It's what they do. He has you trained to take him out of his cage, pen, or whatever you're using to confine him, by crowing until you take him out. Personally, I think your rooster would be much happier living someplace where he can be outside scratching and pecking and doing chickeny things rather than stuck in a confined area with something constricting his throat so he can't do one of the most natural things a rooster does.

I am wondering why you're jeopardizing not only your rooster, but your right to keep any chickens at all by keeping not only an illegal rooster, but also more hens than allowed. Roosters crow. It's what they do. He has you trained to take him out of his cage, pen, or whatever you're using to confine him, by crowing until you take him out. Personally, I think your rooster would be much happier living someplace where he can be outside scratching and pecking and doing chickeny things rather than stuck in a confined area with something constricting his throat so he can't do one of the most natural things a rooster does.
thumbsup.gif

Is he your only chicken? Chickens are flock animals and aren't not meant to live solitary lives. A rooster will crow when he can't see his whole flock. It's part of his job, as flock protector, to keep the flock together. It's instinct to call out to the flock members he can't see. Unless you are willing to be his flock 24/7, rehome him or get him at least 4 or 5 girls.

No. I have another hen living in the house with him. She has lived in here for two years now.

Thank you for the advice everyone, but I think I will decide what is best for my animals on my own. I have had chickens for many years. I know how roosters are, and I know they need a flock. He is not in the house alone. I have had a hen in the house for two years now, and I am not the only person out there that does this. I know lots of people with chickens as house pets. They are very social birds. They don't necessarily need a flock when they have people to keep them company. My hen has been the happiest she has ever been, since coming to live in the house. We almost lost her to an illness and she came in the house for rehabilitation. She has been in here since, and loves it. Stephen the rooster, also loves it in the house.

As I said, thank you for the help and advice. But I am going to continue to do what is best for my flock.

As for jeopardizing my flock, I am well aware of this. I know the risks. But this is only a temporary home for me. I will be finding something else preferably out in the country, by Spring or next Summer. I am not willing to rehome my animals now, if I am so close to moving out of the city limits. To me that seems pointless. My chickens aren't just chickens. They are all pets with a special place in our home. So for now I'm just going to continue doing things as I have been, and hope for the best.

Thanks again everyone,
Ashley

Last edited:
You're also jeopardizing everyone else's right to keep chickens in your area.

The constant crowing could mean he is not comfortable in the house.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom