young rooster crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smarsh2, Dec 16, 2009.

1. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    I always love the early attempts at a crow that young roosters manage. I was surprised this morning at 5:15 AM when my young red-sex-link offspring roo managed a poor but very deep crow on the day he became 3 months old. Isn't that fairly young?

scott

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Maybe a little bit young. I've heard of baby roos trying to crow at only a few weeks old. My four Welsummer roos are twelve weeks old too, and they are crowing like crazy. I can't remember exactly when it started, but it has been a couple of weeks.

You're right though, it's very cute!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    I had several roos this summer trying to crow around 8 weeks. Very funny sounds, like teenager boys loosing their voices. I had one roo that didn't develope his crow until after the other two roos were culled. Another story.
    I would just enjoy his sounds. Mine crow all day long.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My "adolescent" EE rooster (which I'd hoped would be a hen, but oh well) is 9 wks old and he's been trying to crow for about 2 wks. Yesterday his single bray sound started changing to a two-syllable and two-toned almost crow. Still sounds very unlike a cockadoodle-do, but at least he no longer sounds like he's dying!!

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    My Wellie made his first (recognized by me) crow at 7 weeks. [​IMG]

Now he never shuts up :p

6. CHICKENBOY 1

CHICKENBOY 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    lucky my barred rock roos have started there spers but no crow yet [​IMG].but no that is not to young but now that theyhave ther voices they may try to astablish dominance over you. if they sper you you hit hem back they wont like it but they will now whose boss.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    For me, it's a little late.

My welsummer cockeral, Moose, started crowing at 4 days old. He would stand there, stretch his neck out and this little chick blalalalala sound would come out. (almost sounded like a little turkey) Now he's almost 8 weeks old and he sounds like someone's murdering a trombone. I just can't help but laugh. I hope this doesn't mean he's going to be an obnoxious crower.

Now one of my BR boys (same age) seems to be finding his voice. It's not a crow per se, he doesn't stretch his neck out, but it's not the chick peep peep noise either. So I don't know.

8. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Hi, all. I found this old thread because we have a cockerel who is only 6-7 weeks old (hatched May 23) and is doing the turkey-gobble-sounding thing. Our previous rooster didn't even try his first crow until he was full grown and probably 4 months old. To the original posters--did your roos who started crowing so young end up being unusually noisy? I hope some of the OPs are still around. Thanks! Don

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, many of us OPs are still around. (Just try and get rid of us!!!!)

My little accidental rooster is the dominant rooster of a large flock now, which includes many other roosters as well. Carl is a bit noisy with his crows in the morning when he wants out of the coop and the auto-door hasn't yet opened... (I gotta cut back the tree branches which are fully leafed and blocking the very early morning sunlight). Otherwise, he's much less noisy than the other roosters. He don't gotta crow unless it's important to crow, is how I think he considers it.

I have had other early crowers in the bunch, and I don't think starting early has anything to do with how noisy they are throughout the day.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have 2 roosters in separate coops/runs. One is my early crower, Moose and the other is a late crower, Ford. Both crow here and there throughout the day. I haven't noticed any difference between them.

Moose is not obnoxious with his crows, but as every rooster does, he's my natural alarm clock. I love hearing him crow, and in fact I get worried if I sleep in and don't hear him crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by