young rooster dead/blue comb what happened?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengrl, Jun 18, 2011.

1. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We had our young birds out free rangeing with the older birds. i was rounding them all up to secure them in the coop and run and found this young Blue copper Marans huddled under some cut cedar trees. Some other young roosters were in the area with him. He didn't get up and run from me and i saw his comb was very blue. He did try a bit to evade me but didn't get far and i reached under the brush and picked him up. I was carrying him back to the coop as he was obviously sick. I took a few steps and he struggled a bit, flapped his wings, twisted his neck and had a spasm of sorts and he died in my arms. It was pretty horrible. He has been very healthy and about 4 months old. No other symptoms at all. No sneezing, coughing, couldn't find any parasites on him. No sign of injury. The only thing I can think of is possibly worms. These young ones have not been wormed yet and i was planning on waiting for fall. What do you more experienced folks think? he was a beautiful bird! [​IMG]

Also, We did have ILT last winter and this bird was vaccinated for it before it left our basement. Vaccinated at 4 weeks and 10 weeks. No signs of this infection whatsoever. I would truly be freaked out if this looked respiratory at all. [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe he had a heart problem? I've seen alot of posts about blue combs and lots of people lean toward heart issues if there isn't any obviously anything else going on. Maybe you gave him a start and his heart gave out. Sorry for your loss.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    So sorry about your loss. I have also read about blue combs being associated with heart or circulatory problems. I have not seen it associated with worms though. The poor guy may have had a congenital heart problem. I know how upsetting it is when they die in your arms. It happened with my rooster even more suddenly, he collapsed and spasmed. Others on the forum said the spasms are generally part of dying.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry for you loss. [​IMG]

Blue comb and a spasm of sort right before passsing - I suspect a heart attack; perhaps a congenital heart condition as peck already suggested.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since there wernt any other symptoms...I suspect a heart problem as well. Sorry for your loss Stacy.

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks guys. I was thinking heart or possibly worms. Just didn;t think this young of a bird would have a heavy worm load already. The worst part is my step daughters are here for the summer (13 and 15) and they love helping with the chickens. Kind of a heartbreaking introduction to how quickly one can lose a bird. They took it OK and wanted to bury him and unfortunately I was unable to dig a decent hole thanks to how incredibly hard our soil is and full of roots [​IMG] I guess DH will get to do the honors on Fathers Day. (sorry DH) [​IMG] Thanks for the awesome support as always. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by