1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Young rooster for a breeder?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gamelife, Nov 11, 2011.

1. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    I have this rooster, 3 months old. I would like to put him with a couple of hens and get some chicks out of them this coming season. The hens/pullets will be ready they are now 6 months old. Do you guys think he will still be too young come Jan. or Feb? What's the youngest brood rooster you've ever had?
    I don't usually like to use a young rooster for breeding, but he is growing
    to be a beautiful bird.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I think he will be fine by feb. mine started to mate at 5 month old..

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:It can be done as early as 5 months, however you will want to watch him closely and make sure he does loose valued traits or develop undesired traits as he fully matures and after his first molt. I do not like to use cockrells in matings but at times have had to. It has worked out and it has bit me in teh back end both.

4. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:It can be done as early as 5 months, however you will want to watch him closely and make sure he does loose valued traits or develop undesired traits as he fully matures and after his first molt. I do not like to use cockrells in matings but at times have had to. It has worked out and it has bit me in teh back end both.

I have never bred from a young rooster, always an older one. I have heard that a young cockeral may produce small offpring. Can you list any pros and cons?

5. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma

I have never bred from a young rooster, always an older one. I have heard that a young cockeral may produce small offpring. Can you list any pros and cons?

the offspring are no smaller, you just do not know how the stags will actually finish out. If you are trying to set good body traits, color, and feather traits breeding from cockrells is not really a good idea. you are better off waiting to see how he finishes at 12-18 months. Rather than discard and entire hatching season because teh breeder male was inferior when finished.
    I don't know what traits you are working towards so I can't be of much help in specific areas.

6. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    He is a dark BB red american game roo. The hens I have come from a family of dark red roosters. I want
    to keep this trait and keep them pure. I love the dark red/burgundy color in fowl. As for genetics they are a perfect match and he is not related to the girls. Breeding season is still some time away so I still
    might not breed them. More of an idea then a plan.

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:we want pics...

8. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:If you are breeding for color and I assume body, go ahead and try him come spring, it would be a test mating while waiting for him to truly finish and mature. You will know then if you need to cull him and keep a cockrell to place back over your hens later or just get a better male and have plenty of good meals. Its just a gamble until you know what you have but nothing really lost if you enjoy eating chicken.

9. gamelife

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    I don't have any recent pics, I'll take some more soon. These pics are from 3 weeks ago.
    A little over 2 months old.
    [​IMG]
    Another pic of the girls with their brother(not the best picture).
    [​IMG]

10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Nice...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by