1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Young Rooster needs a coach

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buckabucka, Jul 7, 2010.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Crowing 8 Years

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I have an EE rooster, only 8 weeks old. He started crowing at 5 weeks, and now is attempting mating with the 8-week pullets. He does not do any kind of mating dance, nor does he appear successful. He mostly just grabs the hens by the neck and drags them around while they scream and eventually break loose and run away. Will the rooster get better at this? I've also read that the rooster will lead the girls to food and politely let them eat first. This rooster just pecks at others and pushes them away so HE can eat.
    Does the rooster eventually become more graceful, or did I just get a bad one? Right now, he acts like a jerk. I'm thinking about eating him, but want him to get bigger. Meanwhile, I worry the hens will get hurt. Do I need to separate them this early?
    These are our first chickens, so I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks for any advice.
    Robin

2. Bessie1994Snider

Bessie1994Snider Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    I was wondering about this to my 16 week old does it to. Hopefully someone has the answer.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You've described the behavior of a young, inexperienced cockerel. He'll get more graceful with his mating attempts as he gets older (like a year old, 18 months maybe). And just like young human boys grow up and realize that girls like flowers and chocolates better than spiders and snakes stuck in their face, he'll learn that the fastest way to a hen's heart is to treat her to the best goodies before feeding himself.
    ETA: Chicken matings are not the prettiest thing to watch, even when the chickens get older. If it bothers you, best to just walk away. It's normal and natural to the chickens and none are any the worse for wear.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:^^^^ what she said! [​IMG]

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Crowing 8 Years

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks! It sounds like I just need to wait for him to grow up a little. I'm glad to hear he will likely improve.
    Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: