Young rooster over-breeding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AtlantisPeeps, Nov 24, 2014.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I have an Easter Egger (Gizmo) rooster who was hatched the first week of May. For the last 2 weeks, he has been breeding my 8 hens like crazy. He can't go 5 minutes without jumping one of them. Even the underage pullets. It's really stressing them out, and he's really rough. I have 2 other roosters in the flock, one who is the same age and hardly ever breeds (he's shy). The other is the oldest and flock leader, but doesn't mate much either. Whenever Gizmo mates one of the hens, then hen screams in distress, and the flock leader runs over and beats up Gizmo. What should I do???

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I'd be interested to know how many hens you have for those 3 roosters. The recommended ratio is 1 rooster to every 8-10 hens. Any less hens than that and you do tend to get over-mating problems, as one rooster will try to prove his dominance over the flock by mating the girls like crazy.

I think your main issue though is that Gizmo is becoming a teenager and his hormones are flowing thick and fast. At that age they do not know the proper mating techniques - they just take it when they can, and if necessary they will take it by force. It's very common for them to mate constantly at that age too - my boy is just turning a year old now and he is a frequent mater as well. In Spring and Summer it becomes even more frequent.

As time passes roosters do develop gentler methods of mating and the girls will then willingly comply. They will start doing the mating dance to entice the girls, dipping a wing and slowly circling them, at which point the girls will squat to show their acceptance and the rooster will mount them. Their mounting and treading becomes less 'desperate' with age too, and they will learn to gently step on to the hens rather than leaping on them in a frenzy. My guess is that your girls are objecting simply because he is rough with them, and that will improve with age.

Your options at this point are to either keep him separated from the flock until such time that he matures and then reintegrate him, remove either him or some of the other roosters (depending on how many hens you have of course) or simply let nature take it's course. He should get better with age, but if not you can rehome/despatch of him in your preferred method. In the mean time, you could buy chicken saddles (aprons) to put on your girls and give them some protection from all the treading.

- Krista

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Thank you! I have 16. I am also raising 5 more, and 2 could also be roosters, so I am thinking about getting a second coop and making it a bachelor pad for all the boys.

Thanks again! I appreciate it!

4. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  5. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Well done, DaveOmak - that's a Rooster Buster cage if ever I saw one!

I presume it doubles as a Broody Buster/Hospital cage also?

I have a similar set-up myself, but have not had a naughty rooster to put in it as yet [​IMG]

- Krista

6. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    I hope to use it for almost anything... quarantine, new flock introduction after quarantine.. But for now, it has paid for itself.... The rooster is so cool.... Very very manly and supportive of the hens... I didn't want to eat him but it was getting close...
    So, for now, the hens are in charge.... the way it is around my house anyway... seems to work.... [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Multiple roosters creates a competitive community.......get rid of all but 1 rooster and things will calm down immediately.

If you need to keep multiple roosters for breeding purposes, you should have multiple pens to keep them separate...sometimes the pens need to be out of sight and sounds from one another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by