Young Rooster, pale comb, lethargic

Freerangefather

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2020
15
15
23
Hello, I have an 18 week old Welsummer Rooster. He is developing well, found his crow in the last two weeks and began chasing and trying to mount his hens as well. In the last few days I noticed a behavior and appearance change. His comb and wattles appear pale and dry not glossy and deep red. His behaviors has become lethargic. He still eats and drinks (I added electrolytes to his water yesterday) walks around with his ladies but has not crowed in days, is not mounting hens or chasing. He does not seem to want to run. Every once in a while it appears like he has a slight hitch in his step like he is a tad bit unbalanced. Anyways yesterday I thought it was the heat and dehydration but after 24 hours if fresh water with electrolyte and cooler temps there is no change. I feed a mix of 15% and 20% protein mix feed. They free range all day and lately I have been treating them with wormy corn ears and large squash and zucchini gits and seeds. I saw him poop yesterday and it looked fairly normal but sort of green and watery with zucchini seed chunks. One last thing, I did pick him up yesterday and do a skin check for mites/lice on his back but saw none. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 

Freerangefather

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2020
15
15
23
After posting here yesterday about a young rooster that was acting lethargic with a pale comb I ended up finding a few mites on his comb so I went and cleaned the coop, sprayed permethrin inside the coop and shook chicken dust premethrin on his rump. I had been offering water with electrolytes for the past two days and beet greens and swiss chard. Normally they free range all day. Yesterday he was at least eating and drinking fine but today I went out and found him upside down in one of the nest boxes. I thought he was dead but he "flailed" and kicked when I picked him up. The rest of the flock appears completely normal. Is it too late? I'm assuming he is anemic and I caught it too late. Is there anything I can do?
 

Freerangefather

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2020
15
15
23
I only noticed symptoms two days ago and treated yesterday. His feathers and everything were in perfect condition and not picked at. I'm worried it might be something else. I doubt he will make it, but am concerned for the test of the seemingly healthy flock.
 

Avian Allie

Chirping
May 3, 2019
91
122
79
It’s a long shot, but a shot of vitamin b could help. Give him crumbles( regular feed) if he wants them, make sure he has water, and try and keep him warm. If the mites have depleted him so much then he will have bad temperature control. Also, mites might have attacked because he has an underlying health problem and they just grabbed him because he was already weakened, as you said. I wonder if he is having seizures or a stroke?
 

Freerangefather

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2020
15
15
23
I'm wondering about the underlying health issues... It would make sense because he had such a rapid decline. It did look like he maybe had a stroke or seizure.
 

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
55,227
45,708
1,202
southern Ohio
Here is the OP’s newer thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/young-rooster-anemic-cant-walk-dying.1407460/

I would stick with this original thread about this particular rooster and his problems for clarity, rather that starting a new tread each day. I’m not being snotty, but those that have answered your thread will look for your knew posts since it comes to the top of the forum again.

Sorry that your rooster is suffering from mites. Permethrin spray or Elector PSP are both good products to use. Treat him every 7 days any where you see the mites. Ivermectin would be good as well as is seen in the link above. He also could be showing early signs of Mareks disease. Was he vaccinated?
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom